Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying things you've always wanted

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I hate to confess it, but I will. I become one of those old ladies who collects dolls.

My focus is Blythe dolls, customized Blythe dolls, and their expensive clothes. The factory Blythes are cheap, but the customized ones are not.

I’m blaming it all on my cat. If only she would let me dress her up, my hobby would cost about $5 a month. I would go to the thrift store and buy cute little outfits for her. But she is adamant that she will NOT wear anything of any kind and this includes a collar around her neck. She won’t let me put a bow on her little head. Otherwise, she’s a perfect cat.
    Cats are so funny. Our current girls, as shy as they are, of course don’t allow any clothes or collars. Our previous boys were totally social, running to the front door at the doorbell to see who might be coming to visit instead of running and hiding like our current girls do. But they were nudists like your cat seems to be. They wouldn’t tolerate any sort of outfit or even a collar. The closest either of them came to being tolerant of that was when Chris let SO put a $10 price sticker from something on his head. He wandered into the other room where I was and I laughed and said ‘oh Chris, we paid more than $10 for you. And it was worth it. Don’t let other daddy sell you short!’

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Cats are so funny. Our current girls, as shy as they are, of course don’t allow any clothes or collars. Our previous boys were totally social, running to the front door at the doorbell to see who might be coming to visit instead of running and hiding like our current girls do. But they were nudists like your cat seems to be. They wouldn’t tolerate any sort of outfit or even a collar. The closest either of them came to being tolerant of that was when Chris let SO put a $10 price sticker from something on his head. He wandered into the other room where I was and I laughed and said ‘oh Chris, we paid more than $10 for you. And it was worth it. Don’t let other daddy sell you short!’
    haha Chris with his $10:price sticker is a funny image.
    I am not a serious person.

I'm honestly not one to deprive myself needlessly. If there is something I really want, I will usually buy it, although sometimes it might require saving up my allowance for a bit, or borrowing from our shared finances and then paying it back. I've certainly done a bit of spending recently related to the kitchen, so I'm not having any feelings of deprivation, lol.
    That being said, there is a wall or two in the kitchen that could handle some artwork, and there is a local art festival coming up in April, so if I see something I love, I will very likely indulge.

For most of my adult life I've had hand-me-down furniture from friends and family. Much of it was the bulky "dark" furniture that I might have refinished and might have gone well in a larger older home. A couple of years ago I had a furniture maker custom make a desk and table. They specialize in simple mission/shaker like furniture and I was able to pick my hardwoods, which were supposedly sustainably harvested, and had the pieces made to fit my house spaces. Prices compared to maybe Room and Board. I've upgraded a couple other pieces more in style with my MCM home, but the custom furniture was an enjoyable spurge.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've always wanted an amoire and I found one recently at the Junior League Sale at the State Fairgrounds. $70. I'm happy with it but I question how bright it was to buy a piece of heavy furniture given how unstable the US and the entire world are? This was a hard purchase as I don't see much good in the future of the US - at least not right away - and I'd hate to lose the $70 by the need to flee for survival - and yes, I can see that coming. Both sides are getting too extreme and the future of employment in the US, a country with rapidly increasing prices and wages that will likely not match without a traumatic reset of some kind - I don't see sunshine and roses coming down the pike.

Maybe any future spending should be in one ounce silver coins, things of value that are easy to carry? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I've always wanted an amoire and I found one recently at the Junior League Sale at the State Fairgrounds. $70. I'm happy with it but I question how bright it was to buy a piece of heavy furniture given how unstable the US and the entire world are? This was a hard purchase as I don't see much good in the future of the US - at least not right away - and I'd hate to lose the $70 by the need to flee for survival - and yes, I can see that coming. Both sides are getting too extreme and the future of employment in the US, a country with rapidly increasing prices and wages that will likely not match without a traumatic reset of some kind - I don't see sunshine and roses coming down the pike.

Maybe any future spending should be in one ounce silver coins, things of value that are easy to carry? Rob
    I will state right from the beginning that I do not buy gold or silver as investments or anything else, so my knowledge in this area is very limited.

My concern in stocking up on silver and gold in case of future "instability" is this... if the world/economy/country is so unstable as to initiate "flee for survival", what good will gold and silver do you? In order to get the true value, wouldn't you have to find someplace to exchange it for the current currency? I would think a collapse of the economy would eliminate just walking into the nearest bank. And I can't see going into a grocery store and being able to buy a loaf of bread with a gold coin. I'm thinking most "normal" stores, etc. wouldn't be able to give you the appropriate change. And if you are in a "flight" situation, I can't see how hunting around for a place to exchange would be conducive to a quick get-a-way.

Just my thoughts based on my VERY limited knowledge and NO experience.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post

Ooooooookkkkkaaayyyy……well then.

your post reminds me that I had always wanted and waited for the right time and financial situation to buy a large Victorian era burl walnut cabinet with rounded top. I bought one the year my mom died and left me some cash.

It is very heavy and I do not anticipate trying to grab it when I flee the country due to… Whatever.

but congratulations on working your favorite hobbyhorse into this conversation. It is comical, really.
    I am not a serious person.

Rob, your post made me think about my original post--my point was kind of about getting to what is stopping us from getting what we really want. Your post reminds me that one real drive for many of us is security, so buying the coins would add to a feeling of security. I think that's one reason I buy little pieces of jewelry--gemstones are something I can take with me, even if I go to a nursing home. I can also hand them off to my granddaughters, which feels very good to me.

I think that's why my mom bought Krugerands. Or why I just bought a little charcoal stove, so I could heat water if we lose power.

For me, security is a need, but something portable like jewelry I guess is a want.

For a lot of us, beauty is a need, so having a desk made might be seen by some as indulgent, but it meets a very real need.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ooooooookkkkkaaayyyy……well then.

your post reminds me that I had always wanted and waited for the right time and financial situation to buy a large Victorian era burl walnut cabinet with rounded top. I bought one the year my mom died and left me some cash.

It is very heavy and I do not anticipate trying to grab it when I flee the country due to… Whatever.

but congratulations on working your favorite hobbyhorse into this conversation. It is comical, really.
    I take it then that the events of January 6th, 2021 didn't mark a turning point for you, that you didn't seriously question the long term viability of the United States in January 6th's aftermath?

You do you, IL. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I will state right from the beginning that I do not buy gold or silver as investments or anything else, so my knowledge in this area is very limited.

My concern in stocking up on silver and gold in case of future "instability" is this... if the world/economy/country is so unstable as to initiate "flee for survival", what good will gold and silver do you? In order to get the true value, wouldn't you have to find someplace to exchange it for the current currency? I would think a collapse of the economy would eliminate just walking into the nearest bank. And I can't see going into a grocery store and being able to buy a loaf of bread with a gold coin. I'm thinking most "normal" stores, etc. wouldn't be able to give you the appropriate change. And if you are in a "flight" situation, I can't see how hunting around for a place to exchange would be conducive to a quick get-a-way.

Just my thoughts based on my VERY limited knowledge and NO experience.
    I feel the same way.. that's why I've never been one to buy fine jewelry. While I have my very idealistic side, I have a pragmatic side that only sees the value of things on the basis of whether or not they can DIRECTLY support your basic needs. You can't eat a gold necklace for instance. A bunch of silver coins won't keep you warm and dry in a rainstorm. The value of things like gold and silver are way too dependent upon the value OTHER people put on them.

I don't see myself making a quick getaway any time soon, but I was thinking about how satisfied I am with our 2019 Purge. I'm considering selling some things in our storage unit, like my antique Asian map chest, and the beautiful country plate rack I loved in NJ but can't use here. And I do have a cup of silver coins that I was thinking of cashing in to put toward my debt.

If I were to flee the country, I wouldn't give big pieces of furniture a second thought--but the thought of maybe someday having to flee wouldn't keep me from buying things I love today.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information