Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things you've always wanted

Buying things you've always wanted

The Birkenstock thread made me think about buying Birkenstocks--I had a knockoff pair once and liked them, and bought my kids the real thing that they wore for like 5 years until they disintegrated. I guess if I wanted to buy a pair now, I could. I am almost 70, and find myself thinking, well, if I want to buy it, I could afford it. Or maybe I couldn't, I'm not sure.

So this week here's what I bought with that mentality:

A Sarah Bernhardt peony root
    A Peony Maximus
    25 dollars worth of flower seeds
    A set of David Gill Bennington pottery plates from the late 60's, from Ebay.

Each time, I found myself thinking, I'm getting old, now's the time. Not really "I deserve this" but "I am going to take off the brakes and let myself buy this."

What would you buy if you let yourself? (It doesn't have to be expensive, but I guess I think of these things as kind of luxuries, wants rather than needs?)

I got my diving rebreather two years ago. $9500 and I had to save up for a year for it. It's been a game changer for my diving.

Interesting thread.

I bought four out of five grandkids Patagonia spring jackets that I got during their 60% off winter sale. I love Patagonia, so I have splurged in the past during their sales. I'm hoping I'll have the discipline to save the jackets for their birthdays! I can see myself jumping the gun and giving them out now and then still having to buy a birthday present!

I usually have an Amazon kindle trigger-finger but I've been going to the library more.

Maybe my "what I've always wanted" purchase would be an entrance arbor for my garden. Oh, and an electric lawn mower.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a new collecting hobby that fits into the “something I’ve always wanted “area.I’ve dropped $1000 on it already. Fortunately, in my gut, I feel the intense collecting urge winding down after only three months. I think it will be my collecting interest for a while, but I can take a breather from spending spending spending.

Meanwhile, I’ve been getting shipments of cheap crap made in China for our house: bedroom nightstands. Outdoor rugs. Outdoor pillows. These uninteresting things give me a vague sense of “completeness “ in decor, but I’m trying to stay away from a lot of this cheap crap. I check out Facebook Marketplace for used furniture and things with a little bit of interest and panache.
    I am not a serious person.

Interesting thread.

I'm curious, Iris. What is your new collecting hobby?

I will confess that smallish backpack/purses are my gazingus pins. I found close to my perfect one about a year ago and hadn't bought any since. Well, I went on ebay looking for a birthday gift for myself and found a medium/small brown one. (Under $25!! Yay for that! Lol) I bought it and it just arrived yesterday. Caveat to this type of spending... I do some little online money stuff that gets me Paypal gift cards. Since I rarely do buy anything out of the ordinary, it is a nice little stash for these kinds of purchases.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Interesting thread.

I'm curious, Iris. What is your new collecting hobby?

I will confess that smallish backpack/purses are my gazingus pins. I found close to my perfect one about a year ago and hadn't bought any since. Well, I went on ebay looking for a birthday gift for myself and found a medium/small brown one. (Under $25!! Yay for that! Lol) I bought it and it just arrived yesterday. Caveat to this type of spending... I do some little online money stuff that gets me Paypal gift cards. Since I rarely do buy anything out of the ordinary, it is a nice little stash for these kinds of purchases.
    I finally spent the money for a Baggalini small crossbody bag last year. It was maybe $70. It's about perfect and even has a slip pocket for phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I finally spent the money for a Baggalini small crossbody bag last year. It was maybe $70. It's about perfect and even has a slip pocket for phone.
    Oh, I wish you had posted something!!! I have a couple Baggalini's that I'm getting rid of! Love them, but they just aren't efficient for the way I use a bag. (But I keep trying!!! ROFLOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Oh, I wish you had posted something!!! I have a couple Baggalini's that I'm getting rid of! Love them, but they just aren't efficient for the way I use a bag. (But I keep trying!!! ROFLOL)
    None of them would happen to be tote bags, would they?

Cross body/shoulder bags... on the smallish side.

Here is a sample. The one is Baggallini, the other two are Travelon - which I consider almost the same/equal to Baggallini's. The bottom right is a fanny pack. I also have one or two more upstairs in the bedroom, but dh is napping right now. LOL.

DSC03156.jpg

Thread Information