Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buying things you've always wanted

I wouldn't invest my life savings in precious metals, but have always though it wouldn't hurt to have a little gold or silver.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I take it then that the events of January 6th, 2021 didn't mark a turning point for you, that you didn't seriously question the long term viability of the United States in January 6th's aftermath?

You do you, IL. Rob
    In a world of climate change, topsoil depletion, aquifer depletion, growing wealth inequality, social unrest, warfare, and pandemic - well, I question the long term viability of our current civilization. I'm not sure there's anywhere "safe" to go really. I've looked. And I've procured a few "backup sites". But, what can you do?

I'm not refraining from spending $70 on an item because of any concern over these matters.

Heck, I've got millions tied up in paid-off real estate, that is decidedly immobile, that could vanish in a flash from a simple wildfire/earthquake/tsunami/volcano/major storm here. If I worried too much about being able to grab my "stuff" and flee, I'd never sleep.

If some of the scenarios people worry about come to pass, well, what use will my dollars, brokerage accounts, and deeds to properties do me?

I concentrate my worrying more on building mutually-supportive social networks. (And stockpiling salt of course, to turn all the tourists into beef jerky when the ball drops...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I wouldn't invest my life savings in precious metals, but have always though it wouldn't hurt to have a little gold or silver.
    okay----i believe that precious metals are a VERY sound investment. but yeah---i just acquired two VERY sound gmc sonoma doors(discounted, too), from the wreckin' yard. yup.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    In a world of climate change, topsoil depletion, aquifer depletion, growing wealth inequality, social unrest, warfare, and pandemic - well, I question the long term viability of our current civilization. I'm not sure there's anywhere "safe" to go really. I've looked. And I've procured a few "backup sites". But, what can you do?

I'm not refraining from spending $70 on an item because of any concern over these matters.

Heck, I've got millions tied up in paid-off real estate, that is decidedly immobile, that could vanish in a flash from a simple wildfire/earthquake/tsunami/volcano/major storm here. If I worried too much about being able to grab my "stuff" and flee, I'd never sleep.

If some of the scenarios people worry about come to pass, well, what use will my dollars, brokerage accounts, and deeds to properties do me?

I concentrate my worrying more on building mutually-supportive social networks. (And stockpiling salt of course, to turn all the tourists into beef jerky when the ball drops...)
    I agree with what you are saying, bae. If I had to flee, I'm thinking about 1% of what I actually own would fit in a backpack or even the car.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, bae. If I had to flee, I'm thinking about 1% of what I actually own would fit in a backpack or even the car.
    Living in the middle of a forest as I do, one that is highly susceptible to wildfires, I'm prepared to throw the dog in the car and be out of here without looking back in < 10 mins. Some of my neighbors have rather optimistic plans of "sheltering in place" and "fighting the fire", but I know better.

That said, I purchased last week for a mere $200 an incredible old-timey view camera, which came with several lenses and tons of accessories, so I can pretend to be a real photographer up on the mountain this summer and terrify the tourists. I've been having a lot of fun fiddling with this vintage stuff, and have learned a lot from it in just a week, I am *not* throwing this 50+ pounds of gear into the car when fire comes though.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Living in the middle of a forest as I do, one that is highly susceptible to wildfires, I'm prepared to throw the dog in the car and be out of here without looking back in < 10 mins. Some of my neighbors have rather optimistic plans of "sheltering in place" and "fighting the fire", but I know better.

That said, I purchased last week for a mere $200 an incredible old-timey view camera, which came with several lenses and tons of accessories, so I can pretend to be a real photographer up on the mountain this summer and terrify the tourists. I've been having a lot of fun fiddling with this vintage stuff, and have learned a lot from it in just a week, I am *not* throwing this 50+ pounds of gear into the car when fire comes though.
    Everything else aside - you do take some amazing photos!!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have very few things that would be irreplaceable in event of a fire or tornado. The hand painted icon (religious picture) of a favorite saint I had commissioned years ago. A few favorite clothing items and books. Diving drysuit.

I’ve decluttering so much. My books are almost all digital now. Same with my music. My stuff is largely backed up in the cloud these days. If disaster happen, and I had enough time time grab my iPhone, iPad, and important documents binder, I’d be OK.

okay------in case you kids didn't already know, i've been collecting used file cabinets. the prices have varied, greatly. sometimes you have to drive a ways, sometimes just downtown. but my latest catch was worth every penny. yup. it's a 36" wide, 4 drawer lateral, with an enclosed bottom. the top drawer has metal compartment separators. the key lock is missing, but is readily replaceable. i found a new set of casters i bought awhile back, in another file cabinet, so they will go on the new one. so, yeah----file cabinets are the greatest thing since sliced bread--even tho they are becoming obsolete. oh---this cabinet was made waaay up dere in iwah, too. you're prolly wondering: did i need one a them HUUUUGE monster pickups "they" have to have ro haul things? the answer is---nope. i just used my littlebitty cheep car i got at the wreckin' yard 7 years ago, to haul it. see? hope that helps you some.

Thread Information