Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever walked off a job?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Come close, but had several jobs walk off from me.
    Now at the restaurant, we lost one full time employee who was planning on quitting (weekend day only), when everyone found out my cancer diagnosis. He hung around until some of the stupid stuff the majority owner is doing and left.
    Just lost our other opener/dough maker today, and the majority owner who flipped the company truck that was supposed to be put into a personal truck when the ownership changed, today, we may be closed/oob next week.
    At least the insurance from the truck will cover my four paychecks and the other bills I have paid for the restaurant.
    Have to have a long talk tomorrow, as his plan is for me to work 100+ hours a week, while doing chemo.
    So I expect to be unemployed, with no health insurance and having to stop chemo soon. And maybe homeless.
    OMG. So sorry to hear you’re going through this. And I’m glad you mentioned it was a restaurant. I don’t think I remembered that.

I will echo everyone else, TMS. I'm so sorry and hope that the situation doesn't turn out to be so bad.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thinking about it right now. It's having an emotional impact on me, and it's not even negative. I never had someone who directed my life towards something, and this new boss, female, is doing that, "Do you want to take this course? I think it'll be good for you." She's investing in me, in my future, no one ever done that. Investing in me, leads me to invest in her, which leads to invest in the department, and in the company. By doing so, her problems, are also my problems. Her problems, are company problems. The company future, becomes, in a sort of crazy way, my future, because I don't want to disappoint, or lose, something that is investing in me. I'm ambitious now, competitive now, I want results, I want to show progress in my metrics. But my life's goal is not to be found in professional life. That's a waste of living, in my view. I have to readjust myself, and I have to push certain things away from me. Leo Tolstoy once said, “Rejoice! The purpose of life is joy. Rejoice at the sky, the sun, the stars, the grass, the trees, animals, people. If this joy is disturbed, it means that you’ve made a mistake somewhere. Find your mistake and correct it. Most often, this joy is disturbed by money and ambition." He's very right, I now see that. I'm distracted, I'm not seeing the birds, and the trees, I'm thinking about my future, my goals, how to achieve them. This is, yes, a waste of living. If I don't manage to cut ties, I'll probably quit.

I've never walked off a job but my predecessor at my first job out of college did. I sat down at my desk my first day and opened the drawers and there were a pair of high heels in one. I pulled them out and asked one of the other women, "what are these?" And she responded, "Oh, those must be so-and-so's. She left for lunch her first day and never came back." Apparently she decided while at lunch that she didn't even want to come back and get her shoes. In hindsight I should have taken that as a sign... The day I got fired from that job was one of the best days of my life although I didn't realize it at the time. 34 years later though I'm forever grateful to my boss M for putting me out of that misery so I could go on and find much better places to work.

I never "walked off" a job, but my very first job as a teen was at a local pizza place. My first day I was told that my duties included answering the phone, taking order (both phone and in store), waitress the dine-in tables, clean up tables, ring up tabs, and at the end of the day, do the dishes in the back kitchen. I was also told I would eventually learn how to cook some of the foods. All for minimum wage - which back then, was REALLY low. By the end of the day, I earned a .25 tip and told the owner it wasn't going to work out. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This was 30 years ago but yes, I did walk off a job. I was 3 weeks into a new job and 1. still knew nothing about what I was hired to do, 2. the boss was too busy to train me as most days she didn't come into office until after lunch and then she was too busy because she was catching up, 3. the last week I was informed that my benefits were being delayed due to them "changing", and 4. when I finally took the initiative to learn my job by talking to the other employees, I was called out for "socializing". It was clear that things were not going to work out with things deteriorating that fast. I still had some momentum left over from my job search with resumes still circulating and getting callbacks so just decided to cut my losses right off the bat. Since my boss didn't bother to come into the office until late, I got fed up with waiting for her to show up so I could have the necessary conversation and just left.

It is not an action that I am particularly proud of, yes, it was unprofessional but so was my treatment from the place. I got home to answer a couple of phone calls for interviews and got a better position shortly after so I guess being "unprofessional" that one time paid off.

Talked to the idiots girlfriend today, she spent 3 and a half hours at a dmv trying to get a copy of the idiots license. Only two employees and one had enough, quit and walked off the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese John Here View Post
    Thinking about it right now. It's having an emotional impact on me, and it's not even negative. I never had someone who directed my life towards something, and this new boss, female, is doing that, "Do you want to take this course? I think it'll be good for you." She's investing in me, in my future, no one ever done that. Investing in me, leads me to invest in her, which leads to invest in the department, and in the company. By doing so, her problems, are also my problems. Her problems, are company problems. The company future, becomes, in a sort of crazy way, my future, because I don't want to disappoint, or lose, something that is investing in me. I'm ambitious now, competitive now, I want results, I want to show progress in my metrics. But my life's goal is not to be found in professional life. That's a waste of living, in my view. I have to readjust myself, and I have to push certain things away from me. Leo Tolstoy once said, “Rejoice! The purpose of life is joy. Rejoice at the sky, the sun, the stars, the grass, the trees, animals, people. If this joy is disturbed, it means that you’ve made a mistake somewhere. Find your mistake and correct it. Most often, this joy is disturbed by money and ambition." He's very right, I now see that. I'm distracted, I'm not seeing the birds, and the trees, I'm thinking about my future, my goals, how to achieve them. This is, yes, a waste of living. If I don't manage to cut ties, I'll probably quit.
    I can really identify with this. I'm an old-school simplifier from the days of Your Money Or Your Life, and this conundrum has plagued me to this day. I chose the road less traveled, after securing financial stability. Which meant I could never really Give myself to the companies I worked for, even though I had good potential and disappointed a lot of people along the way. I was an excellent ... third tier employee, constantly rejecting any offer to advance up the ranks. Yes, I've left jobs (and websites, ahem) when the burden of responsibility for them got too great, and sometimes through pure ghosting. I wouldn't do that now, but at the time it felt like the only way to escape the anxiety of expectations I didn't want on my back, the discomfort of being shunted down the wrong path.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I wouldn't do that now, but at the time it felt like the only way to escape the anxiety of expectations I didn't want on my back, the discomfort of being shunted down the wrong path.
    Why wouldn't you do that now? You think sacrificing for a company, accepting responsibility, would be beneficial? Most do that for the money, but you achieved financial stability anyway. Do you think you'd like to have a challenge and see how far you could go? At what cost? I know people that lost their family. I know another you developed a hearth condition thanks to work induced stress. They get to retirement, and they don't have anything to do, because they didn't developed anything they'd like to do before, their focus was their job, but now their job is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese John Here View Post
    Why wouldn't you do that now? You think sacrificing for a company, accepting responsibility, would be beneficial? Most do that for the money, but you achieved financial stability anyway. Do you think you'd like to have a challenge and see how far you could go? At what cost? I know people that lost their family. I know another you developed a hearth condition thanks to work induced stress. They get to retirement, and they don't have anything to do, because they didn't developed anything they'd like to do before, their focus was their job, but now their job is over.
    Ah, no no, I meant I wouldn't just walk off and disappear - from a job, a relationship or any other commitment - I think I've developed enough confidence over the years to work out an exit strategy that doesn't involve ghosting. I have no interest in giving myself over to a company now, for sure! I'm wholly in support of what you proposed, if you can find the financial means to manage it.

Yes, I would like the challenge of seeing how far I can go, with something, but it probably won't involve money. Still lookin' for my purpose, but with a lot of personal agency and on my own time frame.

Thread Information