Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever walked off a job?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Have you ever walked off a job?

And no I have not walked off my job nor am I thinking about it. I ask this as we had one young man working in produce who did not get along well with the produce lead and ending out walking off the job - on his way out he flipped everyone off and said This is to all of you except Rob and Christie (Christie is another AGM that treats the support staff well just as I do). It's nice in a way to have this roundabout compliment but now we are down yet one more person.

And i digress. Have any of you pulled this before? Yes, I have (surprise LOL). But only in the food and beverage world. Rob

My kids were child actors and it so happened that the same week I got a job as a word processor for a market research company, my son got a part in a play at Lincoln Center, my other son got a part in a community theatre play, and my husband was about to leave home for 3 months with my daughter who had a part in Lassie.

I really didn't like the job but I needed it. I really missed my husband and daughter, and hated having to hire someone to drive my son to rehearsals in NYC. After work I would have to go into NYC myself to pick up my son after performances--driving the 40 miles from NYC at 11pm every night. It was a crazy period of our life.

As it turned out there was only ONE window during the three months that my daughter was shooting that we as a family could get together. It would involve borrowing my MILs car and driving to Richmond, VA in the middle of the night.

On the Sunday I planned on leaving, before I left for NYC with my son, I left a voice mail for my boss that I would be taking Monday and Tuesday off due to "family matters" But would return on Wednesday afternoon. When I got back home my son was standing in the doorway. "Mom, your boss called and she said that if you don't show up on Monday, don't come back." Wow. I needed the job. I desperately needed to see my DH/daughter. The kids were all psyched. I stood there for about 5 minutes not knowing what to do while the kids watched me in deep suspense.

Then I said, "Come on, kids, let's get in the car!" It was the most irresponsible thing I had ever done, but it felt so wonderful--I felt like Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider--"headin' down the highway searching for adventure." We had a great time.

By Thursday I was back home and jobless. I had no idea what I was going to do. I went to the office to clean out my desk and the boss called me in. "The next time you do that, just give me more notice." She said. She un-fired me! I stayed on as a word processor more or less for 4 years, until I asked that same boss if she would ever consider making me a market research analyst.

The rest is history. If she had never taken me back, I never would have had my long career in market research.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes. I was hired as a VP of Engineering at a startup, and I walked out before I'd gotten past my first day.

Initial introductory questions revealed there was serious financial fraud occurring, and misrepresentation to the board/investors, and I didn't want any involvement with that.

I think several people went to jail from that firm later in the year.

That is a great story catherine!
    I am not a serious person.

Come close, but had several jobs walk off from me.
    Now at the restaurant, we lost one full time employee who was planning on quitting (weekend day only), when everyone found out my cancer diagnosis. He hung around until some of the stupid stuff the majority owner is doing and left.
    Just lost our other opener/dough maker today, and the majority owner who flipped the company truck that was supposed to be put into a personal truck when the ownership changed, today, we may be closed/oob next week.
    At least the insurance from the truck will cover my four paychecks and the other bills I have paid for the restaurant.
    Have to have a long talk tomorrow, as his plan is for me to work 100+ hours a week, while doing chemo.
    So I expect to be unemployed, with no health insurance and having to stop chemo soon. And maybe homeless.

Oh no, TMS. That is horrible and I hope things work out better than you expect.

I can't remember if I've ever shared this awesome anecdote before. When I was 16, my friend Tony had a summer job doing housekeeping at a nursing home. He recommended that I come to work there too. On my first day, he shared some acid with me. Now even if we assume for the sake of discussion that taking acid was a good idea, taking it at a nursing home was decidedly not. Anyway, I was able to manage my responsibilities for the day, but I called the supervisor the next day to say I wasn't going back. So I didn't quite walk off the job, but that is the closest I ever came to it.

2006 - job I had for four years was miserable. Boss was toxic. Extra OT they refused to pay us for, all sorts of stuff. I walked out with $400 in the bank. Had a job a couple of days later. That’s the place I stayed for 13.5 years until I was laid off due tk covid. Boss was furious but they refused to hire anyone else. We were massively overloaded.

I am so sorry, TMS. I also hope the situation gets resolved for you and the business. This is the last thing you need. My son is a restaurant server, and I know the challenges in staffing these days.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Come close, but had several jobs walk off from me.
    Now at the restaurant, we lost one full time employee who was planning on quitting (weekend day only), when everyone found out my cancer diagnosis. He hung around until some of the stupid stuff the majority owner is doing and left.
    Just lost our other opener/dough maker today, and the majority owner who flipped the company truck that was supposed to be put into a personal truck when the ownership changed, today, we may be closed/oob next week.
    At least the insurance from the truck will cover my four paychecks and the other bills I have paid for the restaurant.
    Have to have a long talk tomorrow, as his plan is for me to work 100+ hours a week, while doing chemo.
    So I expect to be unemployed, with no health insurance and having to stop chemo soon. And maybe homeless.
    I know we haven't always gotten along, but.....I'm sorry. I wish you better than this situation that you are in. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am so sorry, TMS. I also hope the situation gets resolved for you and the business. This is the last thing you need. My son is a restaurant server, and I know the challenges in staffing these days.
    I honestly don't know if I could even do restaurant work these days. It's always been crazy but since the pandemic it's truly off the rails. Not a day goes by that I don't feel gratitude that I found my way out of it. Rob

Thread Information