Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you make of Biden's latest?

Compassion comes easily when you can do it with other people’s money. Especially if you don’t like the other people. And if you can appear to benefit one of your political poster children like fast food workers, all the better. If they wind up getting priced out of their jobs, well, that’s just the fault of their loathsome employers.

Personally I’d rather not have a fast food worker making my food while sick.

And doing the math that’s 1 day every 10 weeks or 1 day in 50. A 2% labor cost increase. Assuming labor is half the cost of fast food a 1% price increase would pay for it. I imagine most customers won’t even notice a $.10 increase on the cost of a $10 meal. But to the workers the improvement in their lives will be quite noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Personally I’d rather not have a fast food worker making my food while sick.

Hopefully you mean contagious. Cancer isn't something one can just transfer, especially when the idiot about kills himself and never has planned for his demise.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Hopefully you mean contagious. Cancer isn't something one can just transfer, especially when the idiot about kills himself and never has planned for his demise.
    Yes. But someone dealing with cancer probably needs more than 5 sick days.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Compassion comes easily when you can do it with other people’s money. Especially if you don’t like the other people. And if you can appear to benefit one of your political poster children like fast food workers, all the better. If they wind up getting priced out of their jobs, well, that’s just the fault of their loathsome employers.
    It's a good thing someone had compassion when they put child labor laws on the table. Or OSHA laws. Or anti-discimination laws. But maybe taking advantage of people until they're squeezed dry is fair game by "the invisible hand of the market." When money is the endgame in this Monopoly game we play, too many businesses opt out of compassion in order to make more of it. In the interest of checks and balances I personally want to live in a society where somebody acts compassionately towards its citizens, whether it's the boss or the government. If the bosses won't care about their workers, I will support the elected officials who will.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a good thing someone had compassion when they put child labor laws on the table. Or OSHA laws. Or anti-discimination laws. But maybe taking advantage of people until they're squeezed dry is fair game by "the invisible hand of the market." When money is the endgame in this Monopoly game we play, too many businesses opt out of compassion in order to make more of it. In the interest of checks and balances I personally want to live in a society where somebody acts compassionately towards its citizens, whether it's the boss or the government. If the bosses won't care about their workers, I will support the elected officials who will.
    It’s (possibly) compassion when a law covers everyone equally. It’s cynicism when you apply it solely it to a subset of one category of worker for political purposes. It’s an especially crass form of cynicism when the law will ultimately reduce the number of jobs for the people you’re purporting to help.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes. But someone dealing with cancer probably needs more than 5 sick days.
    Needs yes, gets not so much.
    I think I might have made it so I am down to around 70 hours this week, from 100+, whew.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s (possibly) compassion when a law covers everyone equally. It’s cynicism when you apply it solely it to a subset of one category of worker for political purposes. It’s an especially crass form of cynicism when the law will ultimately reduce the number of jobs for the people you’re purporting to help.
    First of all, how do you define cynicism in this case? And second, why does caring for the common good have to come down to cynicism? Can't you be for worker's rights simply because you don't want workers to be exploited? I don't see how cynicism is part of the equation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Needs yes, gets not so much.
    I think I might have made it so I am down to around 70 hours this week, from 100+, whew.
    Someone dealing with cancer probably will need FMLA leave, which isn't paid. Ideal? No. The best that they can get? Yeah. Most people needing the sick days California gives will be people needing it to deal with the flu or covid or whatever.

Thread Information