Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eclipse

Eclipse

Has anyone weighed in on this yet? I'm immersed in it because I am directly in the path of totality. My NJ son is coming up with his family and staying in the camper. We have a nice bit of lawn on the lake with a great view of the sun. I'm so hoping the forecast of clear skies sticks. I am so psyched. I've anticipated this since the last eclipse. I am very, very excited about this. But some (my DD and DSIL) don't get the excitement. No matter. I think it's going to be a great event.

I know at least some of you are in the path. Are you excited?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I’m not very interested. The last one in 2017 was pretty much a non-event for me after a lot of buildup.

For this year I had relatives saying they were coming from Iowa to a place about two hours south of me, but both of them have since pulled out, saying the weather isn’t going to be decent anyway. in my own house we have 90% coverage of the sun.

we can only imagine what ancient peoples thought about this phenomena. it must’ve freaked them right out.
    I am not a serious person.

Schools, businesses of all kinds, social events, etc. are all closed on Monday. Warnings to stay off the roads due to crazies. Not my idea of fun. But then I have lived thru so many things that it just does not cause the great impression anymore. Neighbors let us know that they have a houseful of relatives that came for the event and will be partying all weekend.

We are directly in the path of the full eclipse.

We're not in the path of totality but pretty close, 99.5%. We ordered eclipse glasses several months ago and plan on spending Monday afternoon sitting on the deck with a cold drink and watching.

We're having several sections of fencing replaced and new gates installed and we just found out a few days ago that they'll be here on Monday as well. Thankfully we have enough glasses on hand to lend them to the workers if they wish, well, as long as there's less than four of them, if not they'll have to share.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

95% or so here in the Chicago area. I’ll watch it online. Supposed to be cloudy anyway. I’m not all hyped up about it, but interesting hearing about all the hoo hah around it.

I don't even know if I am in the path. We were the last time and everyone kept trying to get me outside to view it, however I watched the ovens, so peoples food didn't burn (and it was a good thing).
    If it is Monday, I don't know what time, so I could be in Chemo, or back on the way to work. Last week was around 74 hours, so easier then the 100+ I was worried about, however this week, with Chemo, will be tougher.

We're not in the path of totality, but close enough. I bought eclipse glasses online several months ago. I plan to pretty much go about my business but I can take a look now and again without burning holes in my retinas. There's no way I could sit and watch the sun and the moon for 2 hours; I have stuff to do and I would find that pretty tedious. It's actually kind of funny that we've been so happy to have more daylight this time of year, but we are so excited that it's going to get fully dark in the late afternoon. It sounds like it's going to be such a beautiful day too; I'm planning to get out and plant my new hellebores (yellow flowers!) I will need to make sure I get out there before it gets dark! But I do definitely want to check it out. I remember the last one when I was a kid. I was visiting Orton Plantation in NC with my family and it made an impression on me.

We have schools closing early. I don't know what percent we are, but it will get dark. I'm giving blood at 1:30 so will be leaving there right around the time it is in totality. Not sure what to do...just not look!!!! My husband will be at the dentist. I think I'll give him the glasses we got free at the library for his drive home which is a west drive. More anxious than excited. But that is typical of my reactions to many "exciting" things.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    we can only imagine what ancient peoples thought about this phenomena. it must’ve freaked them right out.
    I've wondered about that too. Did they think the world was ending? Or did they have some sort of explanation or philosophy for the things they didn't understand, that made it ok. Stuff That Happens, like thunder and lightning. It would have been shocking, but here and gone really fast, and with no lasting consequences. Huh. Remember the day the sun turned off? How weird.

We're in the path of totality, with yes, a whole lot of hoo hah being made about it. I'm more in the ho-hum camp, myself. Sorry Catherine! I do intend to be out in the yard with glasses looking at it, but I don't have that sense of awe some people seem to feel.

Thread Information