Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Purge

April Purge

I rehomed a small wooden cabinet via one of my local FB giving pages. It hung in our kitchen forever and it was a very useful little thing. I had plans to strip and refinish it, but there really isn't any place for me to put it, so I figured my time would be better spent on other projects. I'm glad someone else will make use of it.

The Clay School is seeking bowls for a local food pantry/kitchen fundraiser, so DH and I donated several bowls to the cause, emptying out a box of pottery from the cellar. (The pottery inventory is obviously going to be an ongoing ebb and flow in our lives, so I need to seize available opportunities to keep our inventory under control).

There is a "free" shelf in the building where we go for classes. I added a few small items that seemed like they would be more trouble than it was worth to give away via FB, but still things someone would want.

DH took a Victorian side table, silver punch bowl, chest, and a couple of small things to the gathering place for our garden club’s sale.
    I am not a serious person.

Yesterday we went to our local Batteries Plus store because we needed a light bulb that was somewhat unusual. When I was checking their website, I saw that they take fluorescent tubes for recycling, so we brought the 4 defunct tubes we had in the cellar. They charge 25 cents per foot, but the guy told us he wouldn't charge us, which was very nice of him and saved us $4.00. It's good to know they accept these, and I'll go there in the future for both purchase and disposal. I don't really mind paying a reasonable fee to dispose of the tubes responsibly. I'm pretty sure we bought the tubes at Home Depot originally, but they do not accept them for recycling, so I'll give the future business to the company that does.

I burned a grocery bag full of files from my parents papers. There are still 2 boxes full, but there used to be more, so it's good to keep chipping away.

Large "Welcome to my kitchen" gnome. Got it as a gift and never really liked it for some reason. I love gnomes but this one never really grew on me.

Two cans of bacon and beans soup. Expired in 2023. Probably still good but no one has ever had an interest in eating it.

Found two open bottles of Tabasco sauce. No idea who uses them in this house but someone must. Combined them into one bottle and threw out the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    Large "Welcome to my kitchen" gnome. Got it as a gift and never really liked it for some reason. I love gnomes but this one never really grew on me.

Two cans of bacon and beans soup. Expired in 2023. Probably still good but no one has ever had an interest in eating it.

Found two open bottles of Tabasco sauce. No idea who uses them in this house but someone must. Combined them into one bottle and threw out the other.
    Oh, I remember canned bean and bacon soup! When I was a kid, I think I was addicted to it. I haven’t thought about that in decades.
    I am not a serious person.

I gave away a chair via FB yesterday, and I have someone coming to pick up a book today.

okay-----this time o' year is tidy-up an' get ridda-any-junk-you-can season, in that littlebitty town waaaay up in tha middle o' nowhere! it is an annual ritual; almost like a festival in tribute to the God of Neatness! Yup. Anyway, proceeds of the offering to the God o' neatness are hauled to the landfill. But guess what? They are such neatness-conscious NIMBYs up there, that they don't even HAVE a landfill! Sooooo, they hafta haul it to a landfill in another county somewhere that ain't so tidy! See? (see photo of perfectly good junk being gotten rid of). hope that helps you kids some. thankk mee. 2024-04-24 (8).jpg2024-04-24 (8).jpg2024-04-24 (8).jpg
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 4-24-24 at 5:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yesterday we went to our local Batteries Plus store because we needed a light bulb that was somewhat unusual. When I was checking their website, I saw that they take fluorescent tubes for recycling, so we brought the 4 defunct tubes we had in the cellar. They charge 25 cents per foot, but the guy told us he wouldn't charge us, which was very nice of him and saved us $4.00. It's good to know they accept these, and I'll go there in the future for both purchase and disposal. I don't really mind paying a reasonable fee to dispose of the tubes responsibly. I'm pretty sure we bought the tubes at Home Depot originally, but they do not accept them for recycling, so I'll give the future business to the company that does.
    okay----what i do with old fluorescent bulbs--the long ones---is put 'em in the trash cart, along with old tires & cans of paint. but first---i break 'em, so the lid'll close. I use a hammer. but yeah----i bet the guy at batteries+ prolly just dumpsters those bulbs, after you leave. yup. so anyway--- at least you tried ta save the environment or whatever. ha. hope that helps you some.

I gave away two old metal file holders that we had been using in our old cupboard to hold pans and baking dishes. They are well built and will probably last forever, but we don't need them anymore.
    I also pulled together a box of stuff for a young single mom with very little $$ who wants to get involved in gardening. I gathered some more stuff from Mom's house to give to her, and might be able to gather a bit more.
    I'm currently in the process of giving away an old lamp via FB.

Thread Information