Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona in the news yet again.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Arizona in the news yet again.....

An Arizona law from 1864 - the year Atlanta, GA fell to the Yankees - was made alive once more. Almost no abortions are now legal in AZ, and I understand this includes cases of rape.

This state is so schizophrenic. It can be remarkably liberal, and then do a quick 180 to the most bizarre of redneck conservative stances.

My question as a long time Arizonan is this - Going beyond your take on abortion, something that could be argued for hours - what is your take on ARIZONA after this decision? Has your perspective of Arizona changed after this decision, and if so, how?

Rob

my perspective of Arizona is that it is a hellhole of desert topography. Y’all know how much I dislike the desert.

Although you are probably asking about Arizona in a political context. But I don’t have any opinion on that
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    my perspective of Arizona is that it is a hellhole of desert topography. Y’all know how much I dislike the desert.

Although you are probably asking about Arizona in a political context. But I don’t have any opinion on that
    Parts of the state are colder than where you are. Example - the annual average snowfall in Flagstaff is 89 inches! Google it, it's amazing. It's not all barren desert. The part I like so much by the border is actually not desert but semi-arid steppe. And I've gone 180 off topic lol. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    An Arizona law from 1864 - the year Atlanta, GA fell to the Yankees - was made alive once more. Almost no abortions are now legal in AZ, and I understand this includes cases of rape.
    I believe all that's happened is that AZ's Supreme Court has ruled that since the original state law has never been repealed or updated, it is the law of the land. If it is not supported by the majority of AZ residents, the remedy is to have the legislature update it.

That's how civilized societies work so I'm all in favor the court doing the right thing. As for the state of Arizona itself, I like it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Anywhere desert is hell hole. And too close to MX. I have plenty of water here. No clue why anyone would want to live there.

I'm with IL and Tradd on this one. I'm glad I live in the lush and civilized northeast. I would love to see the Grand Canyon some day, if only it weren't in Arizona, lol.

Personally I found the weather in Phoenix last August preferable to the weather in Chicago last week. Cold and rainy/snowy just isn't my style.

As to the AZ court ruling it's just another reminder to voters who are either female or at least think women should have bodily autonomy what's at stake in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Anywhere desert is hell hole. And too close to MX. I have plenty of water here. No clue why anyone would want to live there.
    Interesting how different people perceive the same exact thing differently. Example - for me the closeness to Mexico is not only a huge selling point but a requirement. I honestly don't believe knowing what I know about the United States that I could live more than five hours away from the border. Mexico may not be the lifeline to me that it used to be as I am doing much better financially these days - but I still live around folks for whom it is indeed a lifeline, and I still am morally and ethically compelled to offshore all costs I can, otherwise I become part of the problem and I won't be guilty of that, period.

And I really didn't mean to get political here but the border is now as controversial as abortion.....it's just too expensive in the United States now for far more many people than just those in my zip code - don't worry, I won't start getting into my zip code again. Rob

Rob, you seem to like shitholes from living in both AZ and being too attached to MX. Playa del Carma was indeed a third world shithole when I was there two years ago. The cave diving was excellent but I won’t be going back. You go on and on about it like it’s a effing paradise, yet they have a massive problem with the cartels and their infrastructure sucks big time from the small bit I saw on the Yucatán.

And Mexico City is in big danger of running out of water. Can’t forget that. And the stupid presidente is ruining the ground water of the Yucatán with his stupid Mayan train project that is ruining the cave system. But hey, only US politicians suck, correct? MX is a paradise than can do no wrong. Just don’t drink the water in the entire country.

I call the USMCA the USCMA as Canada will always come before MX. Always.

Thread Information