Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arizona in the news yet again.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Parts of the state are colder than where you are. Example - the annual average snowfall in Flagstaff is 89 inches! Google it, it's amazing. It's not all barren desert. The part I like so much by the border is actually not desert but semi-arid steppe. And I've gone 180 off topic lol. Rob
    Your definition of the area you like (Nogales, right?) as arid steppe not desert is probably an educated one, but to me, it just looks like lack-of-rain brownland.

I lose interest in Western topography long about Kansas, mid Kansas. After that, too dry for me until I hit the Willamette Valley.

IMG_4447.jpg
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-11-24 at 11:29am.
    I am not a serious person.

My older brother was in the border patrol for many years working out of Bisbee. He always called Nogales the armpit of AZ. There are non-desert beautiful areas in AZ. Mostly higher elevation, forested.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My older brother was in the border patrol for many years working out of Bisbee. He always called Nogales the armpit of AZ. There are non-desert beautiful areas in AZ. Mostly higher elevation, forested.
    Yes, Rob mentioned Flagstaff. I once toyed with the idea of a job in Flagstaff, but only because it would give me a new job, but still be fairly close to my boyfriend of the time.

but reason prevailed, and I went back to the green Lands of the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm with IL and Tradd on this one. I'm glad I live in the lush and civilized northeast. I would love to see the Grand Canyon some day, if only it weren't in Arizona, lol.
    I love the Northeast.

I've lived in Arizona and seen almost every place on this website.

Arizona is frighteningly beautiful - you may know what I mean if you've been there - when it isn't just plain beautiful.
    https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ariz...desert-places/

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    I've lived in Arizona and seen almost every place on this website.

Arizona is frighteningly beautiful - you may know what I mean if you've been there - when it isn't just plain beautiful.
    https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ariz...desert-places/
    Those are some spectacular scenic places, agreed. But I can’t see myself living in any of them. The big tall, cactus plants are very cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Those are some spectacular scenic places, agreed. But I can’t see myself living in any of them.
    Yes. Just so. I came to think that humans, in numbers as large as now certainly, don't belong there.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Your definition of the area you like (Nogales, right?) as arid steppe not desert is probably an educated one, but to me, it just looks like lack-of-rain brownland.

I lose interest in Western topography long about Kansas, mid Kansas. After that, too dry for me until I hit the Willamette Valley.

IMG_4447.jpg
    A few years back Santa Cruz County (the tiny county in Arizona that faces the border, is all semi arid steppe, and has Nogales as it's county seat) had an exceptional monsoon, lots and lots of rain. I remember taking the shuttle to see the dentist in Mexico and being amazed at how much like Ireland it looked as it was SO green. Not at all like semi arid steppe. Until a few weeks after the monsoon stopped and all the Ireland went away. Rob

Thread Information