Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attitude toward “spending money wisely”

Attitude toward “spending money wisely”

As I mentioned previously, I’m spending craptons of money furnishing our Hermann house. It often gives me an icky feeling.. Is this entirely necessary purchasing? Well, not really, but what’s the point of using old outdated furniture to keep money in the bank? No point, really.

But here’s what’s striking to me: I feel like I am now one of those people who actively look for sales and make it their internal value spending money wisely. Get the best deal! Shave off dollars from the buy!

I’ve never been of that mindset. Me being frugal doesn’t mean looking for the best deal, me being frugal means do not buy anything.Period.

I remember decades ago first hanging out with DH’s family and his sisters all talking about comparative shopping experiences to shave off dollars. I felt like I was from another tribe. My mindset at the time was not to find the best deal, my mindset was do not enter a store EVER because they just want your money. Stores are The Enemy.

one of my friends who spent a lot of money was always rattling off what kind of discount she got from a purchase. I always tuned that out, that isn’t a value that is important to me.

It is very weird, this entering a new tribe. I’m currently shopping for expensive upholstered furniture, a sofa or two and upholstered chairs. That stuff adds up. So I have to pay attention to “sale” prices I guess. Blindster is offering a 35% discount this week and when our window coverings are going to be $600, that amounts to a lot.

This post is just another musing about values and spending money.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-19-24 at 1:51pm.
    I am not a serious person.

I think my basic programming was to save, save, save, and now I am finding that I want to spend on things that are not necessary, and then I feel guilty.
    So yesterday I bought a painting on ebay from a dealer from whom I bought a painting last year. I have been looking at this picture for six months now, and yesterday I decided to mark the sale of the family property by buying this painting. I used money I saved from my job. I think I will like looking at it, and hope the kids like it and one of them wants it when I'm gone. But it's not a necessity and it's not like a cd where it is earning money. So it feels weird to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think my basic programming was to save, save, save, and now I am finding that I want to spend on things that are not necessary, and then I feel guilty.
    So yesterday I bought a painting on ebay from a dealer from whom I bought a painting last year. I have been looking at this picture for six months now, and yesterday I decided to mark the sale of the family property by buying this painting. I used money I saved from my job. I think I will like looking at it, and hope the kids like it and one of them wants it when I'm gone. But it's not a necessity and it's not like a cd where it is earning money. So it feels weird to buy it.
    I am so glad you bought that painting!

I looked at a painting for months on ebay, made an offer that was countered too high, and I never got the painting because it sold later. I still think about it and wish I had purchased it because it was a difference of a couple hundred bucks, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am so glad you bought that painting!

I looked at a painting for months on ebay, made an offer that was countered too high, and I never got the painting because it sold later. I still think about it and wish I had purchased it because it was a difference of a couple hundred bucks, no big deal.
    That's funny, I did the same with this picture months ago, but then said alright, I'll offer the last thing they countered withm so this time we had a deal.
    I do realize that I still have most of the paintings I have bought in my life and they still give me pleasure.

Wow, I guess paintings are the blow-out gazingus pins of the truly frugal! I typically think long and hard about any purchase over $100--less than that, I'm too prone to fritter it away for some things (not Starbucks or food, but books, cheap online classes, etc.)

But one of my very favorite people and places is the artist Stephen Huneck/Dog Mountain in VT. They always have a March Madness sale. Well, my birthday is in March, and the year that I turned Medicare-eligible, I thought about the huge savings I was about to get from not having to pay full-boat commercial insurance, and, very uncharacteristically, I decided to blow my first month's savings on a numbered S. Huneck woodcut. $800. But I do love that woodcut and I look at it every day, happy that not only do I get to enjoy it, but I supported a wonderful organization.

As far as bargains go, I tend to be also of the mindset of "it's better to not buy than spend time tracking down the cheapest way to buy." People who are constantly bragging about their nickel-and-diming can get a little tiresome. However, I do love scoring a good bargain when I find them!

ETA: Well, looks like I could always get my money back if I get desperate for cash! My woodcut has appreciated in value!
    https://www.dogmt.com/She-Sings-A-Lo...g-Woodcut.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow, I guess paintings are the blow-out gazingus pins of the truly frugal! I typically think long and hard about any purchase over $100--less than that, I'm too prone to fritter it away for some things (not Starbucks or food, but books, cheap online classes, etc.)

But one of my very favorite people and places is the artist Stephen Huneck/Dog Mountain in VT. They always have a March Madness sale. Well, my birthday is in March, and the year that I turned Medicare-eligible, I thought about the huge savings I was about to get from not having to pay full-boat commercial insurance, and, very uncharacteristically, I decided to blow my first month's savings on a numbered S. Huneck woodcut. $800. But I do love that woodcut and I look at it every day, happy that not only do I get to enjoy it, but I supported a wonderful organization.

As far as bargains go, I tend to be also of the mindset of "it's better to not buy than spend time tracking down the cheapest way to buy." People who are constantly bragging about their nickel-and-diming can get a little tiresome. However, I do love scoring a good bargain when I find them!

ETA: Well, looks like I could always get my money back if I get desperate for cash! My woodcut has appreciated in value!
    https://www.dogmt.com/She-Sings-A-Lo...g-Woodcut.html
    That's lovely! Here's mine, Danish, circa 1930:

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That's lovely! Here's mine, Danish, circa 1930:
    Beautiful!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love Tybee’s painting, it is so gentle and peaceful and just plain pretty.
    That is cool catherin’s woodcut has appreciated. I am never in any mind that the art I buy will appreciate.

DH and I have this conversation frequently because of our experience-based frugal mindset. Losing jobs and your house leaves a taste in your mouth. It seems the older I get the more I appreciate how much time it can take to save pennies here and there and so I would rather buy the quality thing up front and not have to think about it again. At least that is the mindset I am working on but old habits die hard.

I guess I come to all this from a different perspective... at this point in my life, I just don't WANT anything! I'm still trying to get rid of "stuff" and the thought of adding MORE stuff to the existing stuff does not make me happy. There may come a time when I've gotten rid of all that I no longer want and then - maybe - I'll want something else. Who knows.

But I do like a good deal when I actually need to go buy something. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information