Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottled water?

Bottled water?

On Earth Day, I was thinking about how much plastic we all us and how every time I go to Costco, so many customers are purchasing multiple cases of bottled water in plastic. I imagine there are situations where one "needs" to have these around like bad well water, travelers etc but the amount going out the door seems excessive. It makes me wonder, do people even care about all the plastic they are buying and why do we tolerate its proliferation?

I know.. I agree! There are great options for water if you really feel your city water doesn't cut it. You can get a Brita pitcher. Or you can have a water filter attached to your sink. I think that Nestle and other companies have done a great job of creating a need that really doesn't exist. And the fact that Nestle would like to actually privatize water is just beyond the pale.

And no, unfortunately, I don't think people care.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I see it just at the regular grocery store as well. I will confess to using bottled water every now and then, but am consciously making an effort not to. Just bought a pack of filers for my Britta bottle and also have a Brita pitcher in the fridge. Focusing on using them even more than we do now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I see it just at the regular grocery store as well. I will confess to using bottled water every now and then, but am consciously making an effort not to. Just bought a pack of filers for my Britta bottle and also have a Brita pitcher in the fridge. Focusing on using them even more than we do now.
    I buy them when we have visitors. The last case I bought was for my kids from NJ when they came up for the eclipse, and it remains untouched. So, at least I have it for whatever bottled water emergency there might be Luckily, our city water is pretty rigorous in terms of their filtration, so I often just drink out of the tap even though I also have a water filtration system under my sink..
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I've always been a fan of tap water and a thermos to carry it around. Bottled water was created by soda companies...and it has worked! I've been in two places that the tap water would make me use bottled or filtered, but all the rest I can drink.

WAPO had an article today on world's largest plastic polluters - Coca Cola and Pepsi. They claim to have programs to switch to recycled plastic but that's still plastic that ends up all over the place.

Then there’s Mexico, where everyone HAS to drink bottled water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Then there’s Mexico, where everyone HAS to drink bottled water.
    Sad but true.

Travelers don't need bottled water. At least not in the US. It's been illegal to sell bottled water at SFO airport for years now. Everyone brings a reusable bottle and fills it up at a bottle filling station after security. Getting into the habit of carrying a stainless steel water bottle has undoubtedly saved me a lot of money over the years and reduced the amount of plastic I'm consuming in one use items like water bottles.

Thread Information