Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At least SOME people care about preserving historic architecture...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    There are a lot of ugly bedroom sets, which is why I don't like "sets" of anything. If you break them up, they may have some potential, based on individual merit and a lot of chalk paint.

Actually, I had a really ugly bedroom set, because we couldn't afford anything better. It was purchased from a discount furniture place in Florida, made of shiny white laminate. We actually sold it during The Purge, and we didn't pay anything for it to begin with, so that was a net win I guess.
    ummm… the bedroom set of DH is white-ish. I think it’s laminate.

and I am mourning Roger’s pink bathroom fixtures even if he is not. There’s an entire website devoted to pink bathrooms. I’m sad that I’m old enough now to know I will never have my own original pink bathroom.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There’s an entire website devoted to pink bathrooms. I’m sad that I’m old enough now to know I will never have my own original pink bathroom.
    Aren't you referring to "dusty rose"--not "pink"? My bathroom fixtures (toilet, sink, tub) were that color.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    ummm… the bedroom set of DH is white-ish. I think it’s laminate.

and I am morning Rogers pink bathroom fixtures even if he is not. There’s an entire website devoted to pink bathrooms. I’m sad that I’m old enough now to know I will never have my own original pink bathroom.
    Well, I did keep the pink bathroom tiles. Or maybe they are dusty rose. And also the harvest gold kitchen tiles. It's possible the preference for pink might be gender related.

I rented a small house for years before buying my first house when I was a bit over 50 under the illusion I could save enough to pay cash or mostly cash and avoid debt and interest. I guess that's sort of a simple living thing but housing prices were going up much faster than I could save. So when I bought my house as a fixer-upper it was affordable and in a good neighborhood and without a huge loan. The trends probably make it a little more desirable now, but it's far from a MCM showpiece. I would never turn the page back, but do miss the freedom of renting some days.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I recently worked out that if I sold my current home I could stay at an AirBnB every day for the rest of my life with the proceeds, and never run out of cash. The temptation to insanely simplify my life is strong, especially after having a water heater explode (seam ripped open on the side as I was watching) and my heating system boiler explode (well, all the pressure relief valves popped, again while I was watching, as the boiler had stuck itself on "on" and was running steam through my warm-water hydronic heating system).

Getting those fixed in a timely fashion and cleaning up the mess has me thinking...

I am finding that selling and renting is a strategy that some of my financially well-off senior friends are employing. My SIL (who is recently widowed) had moved with my brother from a beautiful home on a river to a small 2 bedroom apartment in a senior community. Now that my brother is gone, she is "trading down" and moving to a 1 bedroom in the same complex. Another friend who has a beautiful house here in the islands is planning on selling and renting a retirement place in Rhode Island.

This seems so counterintuitive to me--I find comfort in knowing that once the house is paid off, there's only the taxes to worry about, keeping my monthly living expenses low. But OTOH, the house does represent a nice pool of cash once liquidated. Maybe that will be the solution for. DH and I someday, but not quite yet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am still enjoying home ownership after so man years of renting and not being able to personalize the surroundings. I do have to say that my house problems and upkeep have tended to migrate from< I can do that, to I'll call the guy. I've probably lost a little sleep over plumbing problems or changes in a 1950's house where the pipe joints and valves are corroded or crusted over with water deposits, replacement parts could be hard to find, and clay sewer lines are collapsing. It just goes with the territory.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I'm one of those that is pretty much over home-ownership - at least, THIS house. It is too old and requires too much maintenance which both dh and I are not able to/have no desire to do ourselves. It is too big and I'm so ready to downsize. I have started to look around and even small homes around here are way more than we paid for this house! And rents are soooooo high! I just don't know how people do it! But, the hunt continues and we'll land somewhere. (Thanks for the little bit of rant. LOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information