Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least SOME people care about preserving historic architecture...

At least SOME people care about preserving historic architecture...

... but not Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger apparently. They razed a rare mid-century modern home in LA to replace it with a modern "farmhouse" mansion. I lot of people weren't happy about it. But if you read the article and the comments, you can see that the the architect's (Craig Elwood) daughter was actually pretty forgiving.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...=1713963715959
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ... but not Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger apparently. They razed a rare mid-century modern home in LA to replace it with a modern "farmhouse" mansion. I lot of people weren't happy about it. But if you read the article and the comments, you can see that the the architect's (Craig Elwood) daughter was actually pretty forgiving.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...=1713963715959
    I know. I saw that headline story and I didn’t even go in to see what the house looked like before they took it down because it was too depressing to me.

the farmhouse trend is OVER in interiors, and it’s tragic that those exteriors are still being built lickety--split all over the place. The house across the street from us that is same era as mine was renovated into black-and-white farmhouse exterior complete with fake bits of stone.

Speaking of Los Angeles design, I’ve been addicted to Jeff Lewis and his antics in his past TV show called “Flipping Out “and his current one as well. But there’s no way I would hire him. One of his first renovations for his latest show where he works with Hollywood clients, he took a house that looked a lot like mine. It was a darling yellow clapboard cottage with picket fence, and he turned it into an awful dark depressing…thing.

oh by the way, we are now supposed to hate “orange floors “you know, those floors that are natural wood? They are what I call honey colored because that is naturally how God made that wood. But we are supposed to hate them! We are supposed to put in vinyl Plank floors (“luxury” haha what an oxymoron) that’s better than “orange!!!!!” Oh don’t get me started…..

and then the owner of the formerly cute
    hollywood cottage just moved a year later anyway.ugh.I hate these people (even tho I actually like the lesbian comedian who owned the house.)
    I am not a serious person.

We spent the day in the city yesterday waiting for Lowe’s to come back and fix the windows they incorrectly installed in
    february. It was a minor fix. Our 100 year old condo building requires 6 over 1 window panes, and Lowe’s mistakenly installed 6 over 6.

they just had to pop out the bottom insert, not a big deal, but it took months for them to make the replacement windows and return to install. Meanwhile we appeased the Condo Board by assuring them we are complying with the program, just need to wait a bit…

Our window guy thought he was commiserating with us about the silly requirement but ummm, nope! I want this reasonable accommodation to the historic character of our building. They are not requiring wood windows whoch was a requirement in my old neighborhood.

I'm hardly the fashion guy, but it seems odd to have floors that look like wood, but are just plastic.

This home was featured in the local paper as "architectural archeology". A full restoration back to mid-century modern. An extreme example, but mid-century is pretty big around here as far as I can see.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...13395823_zpid/
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm hardly the fashion guy, but it seems odd to have floors that look like wood, but are just plastic.

This home was featured in the local paper as "architectural archeology". A full restoration back to mid-century modern. An extreme example, but mid-century is pretty big around here as far as I can see.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...13395823_zpid/
    That is quite a house! I’m not sure I like the lime green paint accents but on the other hand, maybe they are OK.

Mid-century modern is a classic, handsome style and I respect it. It’s been at top of trend for quite a while among the millennials and Gen Xers. The younger generations, what are they Z? are into retro Memphis style (from the 80’s) and also this style called “grand millenial” which is like your grandma’s house, the grandma who had poor taste.

In my own house I’m striving for classic English cottage style, so I look at the recent trend of “cottage core” of course, but it’s too twee for me. It’s full of junkie crap that you buy at those fake boutique stores where it’s all made in China, they are imitations of real cottage items.

I do like the natural, clean, and mostly colorless styles of Organic Modern and Boho as well.

That is a beautiful house! I am finding myself partial to orange as accents these days--not so much lime green.

My DD and DSIL--my artist and style couple== are totally into midcentury modern. My DD is desperately trying to find her way out of their starter home, and a few months ago I found them the perfect house--it was clean and in good shape, but all the original 70s elements intact, and she was so bummed that they aren't quite ready to move yet. She's the one who has glommed onto all of my MILs iconic 60s/70s stuff. My MIL never replaced anything in good working order no matter how out of fashion it was, such as:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1065187...ock-light-beam

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1089690...de-table-1960s
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

That is a beautiful house! I am finding myself partial to orange as accents these days--not so much lime green.

My DD and DSIL--my artist and style couple== are totally into midcentury modern. My DD is desperately trying to find her way out of their starter home, and a few months ago I found them the perfect house--it was clean and in good shape, but all the original 70s elements intact, and she was so bummed that they aren't quite ready to move yet. She's the one who has glommed onto all of my MILs iconic 60s/70s stuff. My MIL never replaced anything in good working order no matter how out of fashion it was, such as:

That starbust clock is great. I will admit some years ago I couldn’t quite grok mid-century modern but now I like it. But don’t ask me to ever adopt 1970s Spanish/ gothic revival. Yet I see that creeping into decor posts on the web and oh my God, noooooo!

i have spoken several times about The Bedroom Set here belonging to DH, stored at his famiky farm for decades. Now. It sits in our garage. I would say it is circa 1972. It is hideous. I mean it’s kind of cool but it’s hideous for my 1940s house. Fortunately, there’s no way it fits because it’s made for long rectangular rooms and our cottage bungalow has little square rooms.

I think it will sit in our garage for quite some time .

There are a lot of ugly bedroom sets, which is why I don't like "sets" of anything. If you break them up, they may have some potential, based on individual merit and a lot of chalk paint.

Actually, I had a really ugly bedroom set, because we couldn't afford anything better. It was purchased from a discount furniture place in Florida, made of shiny white laminate. We actually sold it during The Purge, and we didn't pay anything for it to begin with, so that was a net win I guess.

Those are nice little accents.

If I remember right, one of the rooms in the house I mentioned had shag carpet. I didn't think I'd ever see that again! My home was built in 1951 and purchased from the second owners. It had not been updated for decades and there were certain MCM things that had to go. A work friend actually wanted the pink wash basin and toilet. There were some hanging light fixtures in different colored globes that would probably be worth something now, but had to go as did the kitchen wallpaper. I might have kept the avocado frig and the harvest gold countertops and stove, but they were getting old. I suspect those colors are coming back. When I pulled up the carpet there were oak floors that I don't think had ever been walked. Coved ceilings. It still has the long tubular metal chimes for a door bell. It would seem strange to live in a new place with everything modern.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

When we moved into our NJ house in 1985 it was already very out-of-date with shag carpeting, ugly wallpaper murals, metallic wallpaper, and brown paneled family room walls. Because we didn't have money to update it--and also because, frankly, I'm a little like my MIL in that I also don't see the point of changing something just to keep up with the times--it stayed that way for several years. We finally painted and pulled up carpeting, etc. And now my son owns it, and there are no 70s artifacts there at all. I've given up expecting things to stay the same. Younger generations WILL think their parents stuff is ugly. Stylists WILL promote more "modern" decor. It's just a fact of life. I'm finally starting to accept it, but I still don't have to like it.

Thread Information