Thread: People in my circle “rating” people on their greenness

People in my circle “rating” people on their greenness

This is a weird follow up to the post I did last year about so called friends getting after me to get rid of my car and go car free.

Several in my circle have swallowed being green whole. The bad part is that they’ve decided to go junior high and are rating people publicly on social media for their greenness level. The harassment I’m getting is past the annoyance level. They’re all blocked now, but I’m getting messages from people I don’t know at all because these women named names and their profiles are all public FB.

I was rated very bad. Mind you, older smaller SUV, 45 min drive to work, small rented apt, no kids, drive 45 min to work, no work from home job, drive a lot to dive in the summer.

These women all have work from home jobs, moved back into Chicago from the suburbs, sold their cars. Gave up diving as they would go to places like SE Asia with lots of long haul flights.

I’m very tired of this sort of thing. As soon as someone new I don’t know messages me, I report their message to FB as they’re getting close to being threatening and block the sender.

I have my messages filtered so people I don’t know/spam go into a folder just for that.

Needless to say, that's terrible. No one is truly "green" unless you live with a hunter-gatherer tribe in the woods. So anyone calling out people on a "greenness" yardstick better look at themselves first.

To my point, I consider myself pretty "green" but I took this footprint calculator test and my carbon footprint = 4 Earths (ideal is <1 Earth)

https://www.footprintcalculator.org/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think you have a really weird circle of "friends," and not weird in a good way. I will not even hassle Bobby for putting his fluorescent tubes in the trash, but that doesn't feel right for me to do, so I don't. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other ways in which his "footprint" is smaller that mine. I try to do what feels right and reasonable for me to do, but I know that I myself am not going to make or break the planet.

(Catherine, I came in at 4.3).

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post

You live in a small home like I do--I was shocked that 700 sq. ft. is considered a "medium" sized home on the calculator... they must be using global averages--not US ones!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think you have a really weird circle of "friends," and not weird in a good way. I will not even hassle Bobby for putting his fluorescent tubes in the trash, but that doesn't feel right for me to do, so I don't. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other ways in which his "footprint" is smaller that mine. I try to do what feels right and reasonable for me to do, but I know that I myself am not going to make or break the planet.

They’re in my circle of local divers, but not friends.

I came in at 4.1. Very thought provoking.

ETA: While taking the test, it seemed like most - if not all - the questions were very "general". Wonder if more specific answer options would have changed the score.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I came in at 4.1. Very thought provoking.

ETA: While taking the test, it seemed like most - if not all - the questions were very "general". Wonder if more specific answer options would have changed the score.
    Yes, I think as you go through there is a small box that prompts you to add more detail for more accurate results, but I didn't do that either--I was just ball parking to get some idea of how many "earths" I was squandering! .

"Greener than thou"

Interesting, Tradd, that your old "friends" took it to that level. All well and good to be more environmentally friendly but to take to that level is just nuts and outing people to strangers on SM, not cool.

Find it interesting, that they go carless (easy to do in Chicago and wfh to boot) but then do the long haul flights.

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    "Greener than thou"

Interesting, Tradd, that your old "friends" took it to that level. All well and good to be more environmentally friendly but to take to that level is just nuts and outing people to strangers on SM, not cool.

Find it interesting, that they go carless (easy to do in Chicago and wfh to boot) but then do the long haul flights.
    They quit the long haul flights. Used to do them several times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    They quit the long haul flights. Used to do them several times a year.
    Ah, reread your post and see that they gave the flights up. I stand corrected, sometimes my speed reading goes way too fast

Took the test and was rated 4 Earths.

Thread Information