Thread: old decorating trends

old decorating trends

Youtube randomly served up this video of home decorating styles from the 70's. I have to admit that I remember most of them. Like the shiny wallpaper one of my elementary school friend''s family had in their bathroom, and of course shag carpet and console stereos and tv's. The one I don't really remember are the sunken living room things since I lived in an older part of town so none of my friends had a suburban house that might include these. Our house didn't really have many of these things because my parents were too frugal to spend the money on such things so at the time I felt deprived. But I also felt deprived that our phone was bolted to the wall in the dining room and had a curly handset cord that reached maybe five feet so I couldn't really have privacy while speaking to someone since the best I could do was walk through the doorway to the kitchen with it (no door available to close), which I now imagine was considered a plus by my parents since they could listen in to all my sister and my's conversations. In any case this was a fun trip down memory lane that I figured I'd share with you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8OxM512E4

That was fun. I certainly do remember all of it--the overall look of the rooms and the color schemes but also the grandma afghans, the triple barometer thing, the macrame, the layers and layers of carpeting all over everything in the bathroom, which is so gross. To this day, though, DH demands I use one of those contour rugs around the toilet because his feet are cold. I tell him to wear slippers and spare me the ugly rug that I have to wash frequently.

I also remember the black light posters, and definitely the hi-fi.

jp, with regards to the phone--my mother was very extroverted and had tons of friends. She was constantly on the phone with them, and of course, we only had one phone line. I started complaining when I was a teenager that my friends always got busy signals when they tried to call me, so for my 16th birthday, I got MY OWN PHONE NUMBER!! And it was a pink Princess phone! I was the most envied of all my friends--at least for having my own phone number. That was actually in 1968, though. Not the 70s..

Here's a picture: https://www.amazon.com/AT-TRIMLINE-2...09R1QDLH6?th=1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I grew up in a house built in 1968, so the horrid green appliances, shag carpet, weird colored wallpaper, etc. My parents’ bedroom shared a wall with mine. Their nightstand with phone on a 20ft cord was right by their bedroom door, which was at the same corner as my door, so very close. I just dragged the entire phone on its long cord into my bedroom, shut the door, and I was able to have private conversations with friends

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That was fun. I certainly do remember all of it--the overall look of the rooms and the color schemes but also the grandma afghans, the triple barometer thing, the macrame, the layers and layers of carpeting all over everything in the bathroom, which is so gross. To this day, though, DH demands I use one of those contour rugs around the toilet because his feet are cold. I tell him to wear slippers and spare me the ugly rug that I have to wash frequently.

I also remember the black light posters, and definitely the hi-fi.

jp, with regards to the phone--my mother was very extroverted and had tons of friends. She was constantly on the phone with them, and of course, we only had one phone line. I started complaining when I was a teenager that my friends always got busy signals when they tried to call me, so for my 16th birthday, I got MY OWN PHONE NUMBER!! And it was a pink Princess phone! I was the most envied of all my friends--at least for having my own phone number. That was actually in 1968, though. Not the 70s..

Here's a picture: https://www.amazon.com/AT-TRIMLINE-2...09R1QDLH6?th=1
    Wow! Your own phone number! Your friends must have been shocked.

Yes, a nice trip down memory lane. LOL. At the point in time when everyone lived at home, we were still a one-phone family. The phone was on the wall in the kitchen, but had a very long cord - which eventually got longer and longer as people stretched and roamed while talking. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Some of those things are rather 1960’s.

I didn’t see the horrible 1970’s trend of wood stoves.
    I am not a serious person.

I can remember a lot of those things being around, but much of it was not in my conservative home. I almost recall discussions about those tv/entertainment centers and we couldn't afford one, although we did have a TV in a Mediterranean style wood cabinet. My dad finished our basement in various shades of fake wood paneling and there was a paint by number clown on black velvet on the wall. I don't think there is much MCM value to fake wood paneling these days. Our phone cords also got longer an stretched so that the whole family wouldn't eve drop when talking to a girlfriend.

I predict in some future utube they will marvel at how people painted all their houses gray and black.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Did anyone else play a Magnus organ? We had this one in our basement, in the same blonde wood color:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17469280098...3ABFBM0r6jw-dj

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Did anyone else play a Magnus organ? We had this one in our basement, in the same blonde wood color:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17469280098...3ABFBM0r6jw-dj
    Thank you!!!!

There was no brand on it that I can remember, but I used to play my great aunts organ in the basement of my grandmothers house. Pretty sure based on your initial picture and the ones I then saw on Ebay, that hers was a Magnus as well (saw the color on one, and the stand on another).

Thread Information