Thread: What's your take on AI?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

What's your take on AI?

Are you worried about losing your job, or society in general being without work and having to deal with whatever fallout would take place under such a scenario? Do you believe AI will augment our jobs and relieve some of the drudgery? What's your take in general? Rob

Definitely NOT worried about losing my job (customs broker). Needs to be done by humans. CBP even specified last year, in response to a letter from a customs broker, that what we do can't be outsourced to other countries. Must be done in the US.

I do definitely think that we need to be careful about news articles and the like as some things are very difficult to tell if they are real or AI. Frankly, I think we need to be really careful about this, especially when there are closely fought elections.

Definitely not worried about AI taking my job. Would definitely like to see them try, though.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have concerns about AI, although obviously not about taking my job since I'm retired. I've recently left a couple of home decor/aesthetics FB groups that were starting to have more and more posts that were AI-generated images. It's interesting currently trying to to pinpoint what is AI, and there are usually some clues, but I worry that in the future it might be impossible to discern. I'm also talking about images vs. text. I don't think text has the same clear giveaways that images have, so that's probably even more threatening. I agree with Tradd that there is definitely a threat with politics and news articles.

AI, Please take my job.

It needs to be more then AI, it needs to be AI with an artificial body.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This does look like a great story, and I definitely will read it because I love utopian/dystopian sci-fi, but I just don't have time right now, and I'm curious. So I googled the title/author and got this analysis: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....69540520944228

It definitely looks a very interesting read--where consumerism is the sole metric of individual human value which is enabled by the vast resources available in advanced robotics--and I have never heard of the term "prosumer"--but that's also compelling, too, and scary.

I don't know if AI will serve to create greater divides between the haves and have-nots, or if it will help to democratize work. That's my question. As far as my work goes, I'm currently doing some self-study to understand its applications in market research, and there is quite a bit going on there. I've tapped into some of it to help me speed up the analysis process. I am still doing the critical thinking, but I can get interview transcripts delivered in minutes.

OTOH, I'm also in a writer's group that feels completely threatened by AI, and that field should feel threatened.

So, I copied and pasted Rob's OP into ChatGPT and here is the response, which came in in a fraction of the time it took me to write my piece of this post.

The potential impact of AI on jobs is a complex and multi-faceted issue. While there are concerns about job displacement due to automation, AI also has the potential to create new job opportunities and augment existing ones. Here are a few points to consider:

Job Displacement: It's true that AI and automation can replace certain tasks currently performed by humans, leading to job displacement in some industries. This could particularly affect jobs that involve repetitive or routine tasks. However, it's worth noting that throughout history, technological advancements have often led to the creation of new industries and jobs that were previously unimaginable.
    Augmentation and Enhancement: AI has the potential to augment human capabilities rather than simply replacing them. By automating repetitive tasks, AI can free up human workers to focus on more creative, strategic, and higher-value tasks. For example, AI can assist doctors in diagnosing diseases more accurately, help lawyers with legal research, or aid in customer service interactions.
    New Opportunities: As AI technology continues to advance, it will likely create new job opportunities in various fields, including AI development, data analysis, robotics, and more. Additionally, the deployment and maintenance of AI systems will require human expertise.
    Education and Reskilling: To adapt to the changing job landscape, there will be a growing need for education and reskilling programs to equip workers with the necessary skills for the jobs of the future. Lifelong learning and upskilling will become increasingly important to remain competitive in the job market.
    Social and Economic Implications: Job displacement due to AI and automation could have significant social and economic implications, including income inequality and the need for social safety nets. It will be crucial for policymakers to address these challenges through policies such as universal basic income, retraining programs, and support for displaced workers.
    In conclusion, while there are valid concerns about job displacement due to AI, there is also significant potential for AI to augment and enhance human work, create new job opportunities, and drive economic growth. It's essential to approach the integration of AI into the workforce thoughtfully and proactively address the potential challenges to ensure a smooth transition and a positive outcome for society as a whole.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have a weakness for 50's sci-fi and enjoyed that. One could speculate that in the day natural resources were considered unlimited.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have concerns about AI, although obviously not about taking my job since I'm retired. I've recently left a couple of home decor/aesthetics FB groups that were starting to have more and more posts that were AI-generated images. It's interesting currently trying to to pinpoint what is AI, and there are usually some clues, but I worry that in the future it might be impossible to discern. I'm also talking about images vs. text. I don't think text has the same clear giveaways that images have, so that's probably even more threatening. I agree with Tradd that there is definitely a threat with politics and news articles.
    yes, the AI images in home decor are becoming a problem. Sometimes I’d like the fantasy nature of them, but other times they’re just over the top
    I am not a serious person.

okay----my 2 cents. but no---i'm not worried that ai or whatever ya call it will take my place. nope. see---i am the most bBRILLIANT mind in the universe, not to be outdone by some machine. yup. even more BRILLIANT than your hero alfred eisensein or whoever. yup. no, not worried. nope.

Thread Information