Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keffiyeh Kids

I theorize that these protests are increasing the likelihood of a Trump victory in the coming election.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I theorize that these protests are increasing the likelihood of a Trump victory in the coming election.
    I think you may be right. Some people who see another four years of Trump as “An existential threat to our democracy” and Biden as “Complicit in genocide” will need to decide which hyperbolic statement to act on.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently the cops in DC actually know what the first amendment is:

https://wapo.st/3JGJ2Tw

I will have to spend more time with that Washington Post article but it is interesting how the protesting at the Washington universities, GW and Wash U , seem to be similar.

But I will ask you JP, about the item reference to Northwestern University where “kill the Jews “ was shouted and shouters arrested.

Do you think that that is an arrest-able offense? I mean, you personally JP.
    I am not a serious person.

Does the First Amendment apply to pitching a tent on private property? If you camp on my lawn and present me with a list of demands, I’d be setting the cops on you.

When the people who shout down speaker or demand speakers be disinvited, because other viewpoints make them feel “unsafe” become champions of free speech, I have to wonder if they’re being entirely sincere b

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently the cops in DC actually know what the first amendment is:

https://wapo.st/3JGJ2Tw
    I think most rational people know what the first amendment is, just as most people know that most arrests at these Kabuki Theater events are not free speech related.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Does the First Amendment apply to pitching a tent on private property? If you camp on my lawn and present me with a list of demands, I’d be setting the cops on you.

When the people who shout down speaker or demand speakers be disinvited, because other viewpoints make them feel “unsafe” become champions of free speech, I have to wonder if they’re being entirely sincere b
    It seems to me that virtually everyone lamenting the "end of democracy" confuses free speech with favored speech and are more than willing to promote the latter while punishing the former.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

okay----who cares? the only thing we/you should do is steer clear of the whole never-ending mess. "they" love to fight, so let 'em---as long as "they" stay on their own turf. Yup. hope that helps you some. thankk mee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think most rational people know what the first amendment is, just as most people know that most arrests at these Kabuki Theater events are not free speech related.
    And, there are plenty of police officers who would broadly consider themselves anti-war and sympathetic to that general message. Also, A measurable percentage probably would rally Pro-Palestine, and in the city of St. Louis I wouldn’t be surprised if that is 50% of the police force.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I will have to spend more time with that Washington Post article but it is interesting how the protesting at the Washington universities, GW and Wash U , seem to be similar.

But I will ask you JP, about the item reference to Northwestern University where “kill the Jews “ was shouted and shouters arrested.

Do you think that that is an arrest-able offense? I mean, you personally JP.
    I think that's advocating violence, so yes, they should be arrested if that's what actually happened. But that seems to have been an isolated event from what I can tell. University administrators wanting nonviolent protestors arrested for tresspassing or other BS is just that. BS that shouldn't be happening. If universities aren't the place for first amendment freedom what the hell are we actually trying to teach university students? To be good little doobies that meekly become cogs in the wheels of capitalism who know how to keep their mouths shut instead of saying inconvenient things?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Of course these arrests are kibuki. They aren't about "trespass". They are about shutting down inconvenient opinions.

Thread Information