Thread: Woofstock (not exactly a holiday)

Woofstock (not exactly a holiday)

As I've mentioned before, I've been volunteering at Marin Humane for the last six months in the Adoption Cat area and I hope to continue doing so for a long time. One morning a week I go do a two hour shift cleaning kitty litter boxes, filling dry food and water bowls and generally tidying up the living spaces for the cats that are ready for adoption there. It's been a really great experience. The cats are adorable, and I like doing volunteer work again. (I haven't been a committed volunteer anywhere since the 90's when I routinely did work for Gay Men's Health Crisis in NYC back when AIDS was a death sentence.) And I love that my volunteer work requires minimal human interaction. Animals are awesome. People can be exhausting...

Two weeks from Sunday is Woofstock. It's a fundraising event that Marin Humane hosts out on their lawn with live music, an assortment of food trucks, beer/wine vendors, etc. SO and our good friend that lives nearby and I are going since I can get discounted tickets. The event itself sounds like a lot of fun but I'm also super excited that I've gotten the ok to bring SO and friend inside the shelter to meet the cats that I've been helping care for. It'll be cool to share these lovely animals with them. They've both heard endless stories about these cats every week, and are both major animal lovers, so I'm sure they'll enjoy meeting the kitties as much as I enjoy introducing them.

That sounds like such a cool event, jp!! And such a rewarding volunteer activity! I hope you have a great time with your human and non-human friends! Report back!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds fun!

Woofstock - LOL

Wolfstock sounds fun. Years ago when we were younger and hipper and our friends were younger and hipper we went to Stray Rescue’s fundraising event called “ Heavy Petting” held in an abandoned warehouse, of which there are many in St. Louis.

it was a event where you walk around with a beer in your hand, talk to people, maybe bid on a few things, and pet dogs from the shelter. Stray Rescue has since graduated to glittering sitdown dinners as fundraisers but the early days were fun.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-3-24 at 10:39pm.
    I am not a serious person.

okay---i am 110% in favor of jp1's activism on behalf of companion animals in need of a new home. yup. that sounds awesome & amazing. thankk you for your service. hope thatt helps you some.

Just got home from Woofstock. Several of my favorite kitties have gotten adopted over the past couple of weeks but SO got to meet the two big ladies who are pretty sweet. (SO had come prepared with treats so he was a bit disappointed when I pointed to the sign on Kiera’s space that said no treats. But seriously, she weighs 19 lbs. she’s on a diet…). And also two new younger guys, Thaddeus and Dominick, who I hadn’t met before although I’d heard about them. They are brothers who both have a congenital issue that they only have 3 1/2 legs. They are still settling in, so a little shy, but it’s already obvious that they are going to make really sweet companions for somebody.

There were also at least a dozen adoption dog volunteers taking the various dogs out to meet everyone at the party and hopefully find their new forever home. All in all a really fun afternoon.

Thread Information