Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

June Frugals

June already!

Yesterday DH got paid for the remainder of the dogsitting. I'll be tucking that right into the baby fund. I also picked up another class last Friday so we can hopefully start to rebuild our emergency fund (which is totally wiped out!).

Today I am going to make a detailed shopping list and do a big shop. I'll run my other errands--bank and mailing Netflix--while I am out. I might stop at Goodwill, too. I saw some huge flannel blankets there the other day that I am thinking would make good homemade baby wipes.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped at Acme on the way home to pick up stuff for next week's bag lunches and also bought four greeting cards, which entitled me to use a four dollars off coupon on any health item. I bought Calcium Citrate Plus D, which I take daily on doctor's orders, and which was already on sale for $4.24 per 130 caps bottle. I bought two at a net of $4.48. Also picked up some seeds for next year at 40% off.

Tonight's dinner will be a salad from my own container-grown lettuce with a piece of hot grilled chicken on top.

Ds and I did a major shopping trip yesterday. We should be stocked for the week or so. We managed to avoid stopping anywhere for a meal which is a rare when we shop. This equaled a savings of $30-35.

Today will be another no drive-so spending day. I have books in at the library but am resisting the urge to go and pick them up. They'll be there the next time I have a reason to go into that town.

I made rice krispie treats last night just to make my guys feel like there was something different in the house to snack on. I bought enough marshmallows to make 2 batches which will finish the cereal and keep there from being any waste.

Ds is half way through his first load of laundry all by himself. Teaching him to be self-sufficient is one of my goals this summer. Well, bathroom cleaning and laundry are goals.

I got my sewing area in serviceable shape yesterday so I am thinking of doing some sewing today. I have some cowboy fabric I bought a year ago to make pajama pants for James for his upcoming birthday. I also want to make skirts for the girls and pajama pants for Zach, all with fabric I have on hand.

Bella's birthday requests were, as usual, strange. She wants a scooter with jewels on it, a hair bow with seven rainbows of light and a squirrel in a nurse costume. (Fidgiegirl, I think that last one may have had something to do with that squirrel link from the other day.) I think Bellaland is probably a strange and wonderful place. Like Rainbow bright meets Tim Burton. Anyway, I am thinking we will get her a scooter, a rainbow hair bow and a picture of a squirrel for her wall. I also found some wall art on easy that looks like an eye chart, but the letters spell out "I love you more than squirrels". Exactly what Bella said about baby T.

If I can find them I believe I also have rainbow and squirrel embroidery patterns. It wouldn't be the strangest thing I had ever embroidered on a pillowcase for the kids. Someday I hope they appreciate having the kind of mother who would embroider intestines on a pillowcase or all their favorite raptors on a skirt or knit them some bacon just to make them happy.

If I have leftover cowboy fabric I might make matching doll pants for James' baby doll. He loves his doll. He is also on a big duck kick, so I may have to do something with that. Not baby toy yellow ducks, but mallards.

I have some cream cheese I want to use up so I think this evening we will have a lemon icebox pie for dessert.

Today I am planning my menu for the month. I am going to do my stock-up shopping tomorrow.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Ds wanted to go to the hardware store to get some supplies for a project he is working on. I blew my no-driving day by taking him in the car. I guess we could have ridden bikes if I had thought about it.

On a positive note, he used his own money for supplies and is using leftover wood scraps from our remodeling projects to "make things" and keep himself entertained.

Like Rainbow bright meets Tim Burton. too funny Stella!!!

Dh got a groupon coupon-for 10 bucks you get a 20 buck coupon at Old Navy (where we shop all the time for kids clothes and occasional summer dress for me). Then he invited me thereby getting another $10 for Groupon! And then I bought the Old Navy coupon as well. So triple score.

Resisted the urge to buy a bagel and cream cheese today at our local deli.

That's all I've got now...

Oh, Stella. Joy!

I am still laughing about the squirrels . . .
    http://www.life.com/gallery/29952#index/14

Everyone is off to a frugal June! I bought a $20 Caribou card for a volunteer at school and actually asked the other members of the committee for money toward it. Usually I am squeamish about that kind of thing so I gave myself a little pat on the back. Unfortunately I did not also ask for money to cover the cost of the thank you card. I still have my mom's Cricut so I probably could have made a very nice one at home for a lot less than the $4 I paid for it. You win some, you lose some!

I am going to make a coffee cake for tomorrow morning's committee meeting to celebrate today's work session. We just need to pick up some eggs when we go to walk the dog. Going to make this one with all ingredients we already bought.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Graham-...-2/Detail.aspx

That's about all. I guess we have been so busy at work we haven't been buying anything, really. I did have to buy stupid lettuce for a potluck at work the other night. But I only got one package.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I'm trying to see how many "buy nothing" days I can have this month. I do have some large cost coming up, my granddaughter is graduating from high school, and I've been putting money aside for her since her birthday in Feb. she is saving for a laptop, so I told her I would put in for it for her birthday and graduation, but that I'd hang on to the money till then, that way she's not tempted to spend it else where. My car needs an oil change; how I miss the days when I had a car I could change the oil myself. (I know I'm dating myself) but now I open the hood and can't tell which end of the motor I'm looking at!! But I did get a coupon in the mail today for a $19.95 oil change. So todays the 2nd, and I haven't left the house!
    Mrs. B

Jun 02
    last couple of days...
    --dsil for lunch on the 1st and since it was so hot I set up a salad bar with mac salad, and a large bowl of romaine and lot of small dishes with a couple cheeses, chicken piences, onion, tomato, peppers, cucumbers (you get the idea)
    --I had the mac salad for supper and breakfast, yes I love this salad..lol and then made DH and I large green salad with some of the leftovers and we will have omelets tomorrow morning with the rest of the stuff in them
    --fancy dinner (but very reasonable prieced Hors d'oeuvres, beef dinner, pie and tea for $20.00 each)out at DH's club tonight so I needed a hair cut (had been over 2 months) got it at my usual cheap but good hairdresser, gave myself a manicure and pedicure.
    --bulk barn and only spent $12.14 and used a $3.00 off if you spent $10.00 coupon
    --yes, I got the Old Navy coupon too, don't usually shop there but can use it for gifts for grandsons. Great deal

Stella - LOL Bellaland sounds like a fun place to visit. What a character she is.

Graduation gifts are killing my budget! 6 track team members & 1 cousin so far. $20 each. ack! At least the cards were only $.50 each lol. But these guys are all really nice, nice kids. I'm going to miss the track guys like crazy next year.

Also been busting the budget providing food for the meets. But I really enjoy watching them enjoy the food. And they are always so grateful. Luckily Saturday is the last meet. There won't be as many kids to feed either since this is the state finals for individual performers. Only a few teams of kids & individuals from our school qualified.

Tyler is probably going to take classical guitar lessons this summer. $20/week. I will probably go halves with him.

We got our air conditioner in on Sunday. We have a window unit only. We really needed it on Monday. I do not like heat & humidity.

Yesterday was the honor roll track meet (Only 6 kids from our team qualified. Tyler's 3200m relay team placed 5th!) I made a crockpot burgundy stew to have for dinner when we got home.

Tonight I made the last 1/2 jar of salsa & the last 2 Bl/sl chicken breasts along with some colby jack cheese into a salsa chicken dish. Served it over rice. Didn't have enough veggies to feed everyone so we just had watermelon with dinner. mmmmm I love watermelon.

When I get groceries tomorrow I think I'm going to take $10 of my blow money and buy 4 more bags of mulch for the front flower bed. It won't be enough but it's progress. I would really like to have a nice looking flower bed for a change.

Oh Fidgiegirl, your post reminded me that I need to plan to make a dish to pass for the track banquet which will be sprung upon us at the last possible moment. Love, LOVE our coach but advanced notification about things is not his strong suit.

Made tortillas & refried beans and made some bean & cheese burritos for the fridge so that there is something handy for a quick snack.

Thread Information