Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what kind of milk?

what kind of milk?

I drink cows milk. Except I don't usually drink it as a glass of milk very often. I use it in tea, iced drinks, soups, as an ingredient, mostly. My question is, if I switched to another kind of milk, what are the benefits? Do they taste good? Better for you? How do they work as an ingredient? Mouth feel? Do they taste 'funny'. 'Beany'? 'Pastey'? Does being refrigerated in the dairy section and paying triple the cost of those boxed in the dry shelf section matter? I'd like to hear.

We use unsweetened soy or almond milk.
    They taste different from cow's milk, but they are not cow's milk, so that is to be expected. If you switch, you'll adjust quickly, or at least that is my experience.
    For a nutritional comparison, compare the labels in the store. Fewer sugars (because of the lactose in milk), fewer calories. Comparable in calcium and other nutrients. Better for you? Search the internet, and you'll find any answer you want for that, even if you limit your reading to blogs by medical professionals.

We don't drink any kind of milk, but use it as an ingredient sometimes - so a half gallon lasts us about 2 weeks, even if I make yogurt. I think that since you say you also use it as an ingredient, you would be less likely to notice the taste difference.

I just use half-and-half in my coffee, so no help there, but I've tried almond milk a couple times (on cereal) and it was pretty tasty.

We make almond milk and it's really delicious. Different, yes, but still really good. My husband also likes coconut milk (in the refrigerated section) a lot. It hasn't completely supplanted cow's milk in our house, but it's made for a better balance for us.

Local, organic cows milk, organic soymilk, and organic coconut creamer for coffee. All yumm!

Local, organic cow's milk only in our house!

I haven't tried it since I was a child, but I remember goats milk as being absolutely gross. Of course, I've never even been fond of cow's milk.

It all depends on what you use "milk" for. If you don't drink it straight, but use in eating/cooking: on cold cereal/oatmeal, in mashed potatoes, cream-style soups, etc., I've found the taste of soy milk is easier to take. I can't drink soy straight, it tastes like chalk to me.

I use soy milk on cereal. It looks odd but tastes okay.

Quote Originally Posted by kfander View Post
    I haven't tried it since I was a child, but I remember goats milk as being absolutely gross. Of course, I've never even been fond of cow's milk.
    Goat's milk is best ultra fresh - consumed the very day it's gotten from the goat -and what she eats will affect the taste profoundly.

Thread Information