Thread: Getting chlorine out of hair.

Getting chlorine out of hair.

I recently switched to a no shampoo method (I use baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar as a sort of conditioner). My hair has never been this close to good in my entire life. I have baby-fine, thick hair. It has never held curl or volume before, and now it does both (with encouragement from curlers and/or blow-drying).

Anyway, I recently started swimming a lot again. When I was younger and on a team, I used to use a shampoo after swimming that got the chlorine out. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. But I'd rather avoid shampoo if at all possible. My hair is starting to get damaged, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any natural ways to wash or neutralize chlorine from hair. Even shampoo would be better for my hair than what the chlorine is doing to it, but I'm so happy with the way my hair has been for the last ten months that I really don't want to go back. Suggestions?

Thanks!

We wet our hair thoroughly before swimming so that it absorbs less chlorine. The chlorine is still drying, and we use a leave-in conditioner after we wash - it makes a big difference. Perhaps a light touch of something like olive oil would help your hair?

I had to give up swiming in pools all together. The chlorine gives me hives. I swim in the lake all the time with no problems to skin or hair.

I was reading on the livecurlylivefree website and it suggested setting with tomato paste on your hair for 30 minuites to reverse the chlorine damage it also said it was a good idea to rinse your hair with plain water prior to entering any swimming pool to prevent chlorine water from penetrating into your hair shaft.
    You can also try:

1 egg, beaten
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup pureed, peeled cucumber

Massage well into hair, then cover with a plastic processing cap for 30 minutes at room temperature, then cleanse hair as normal.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have a friend who's blonde hair starts to turn green with chlorine. She puts conditioner on her hair, then uses a bathing cap. Then she rinses her hair out really well after her swim.

My swim cap always slides ride off when I put conditioner in my hair, so it would have to be either/or. I wear a cap for lap swimming, but take it off for the water aerobics portion (I hate the feel of a cap on my head, but I need it for lap swimming). I think I'll get my hair wet in the shower before I put my cap on, and then apply some conditioner before the class starts.

After swimming, would just rinsing with my usual baking soda and then vinegar help? Or is there anything else that would help neutralize the effects of the chlorine?

Are you sure it's only the chlorine making your hair dry? When I tried baking soda on my hair, it turned it into straw.

Yeah, I've been using it for about ten months now, and my hair has just transformed. I only use it every other day, and I often condition my ends. I've had to fine-tune it in a lot of ways, but I finally settled on a system that really works well for me. It's kind of complicated (it involves boiling water, mixing in the baking soda, then letting it cool down, which is a pain in the butt for a person like me who is almost incapable of planning ahead), but it's worth it to me; I've never had hair this nice in my life. It's still not fantastic, but it's so much better than it ever was before.

Ketchup!!! Do a "Ketchp" rinse after you shampoo...crazy but it works.

Mrs-M
    Catwoman. I just noticed your avatar and love it! What a super hero you have there. So darn cute!

Thread Information