Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our family- and earth-friendly abode in Vermont--at last!

Our family- and earth-friendly abode in Vermont--at last!

I am back, after a long hiatus of not posting! Well, there were a couple of random comments a while back, but I am now intending to visit here more often now. Here's the story: After having to miss out on last year's trip to Vermont because I was so ill, and my mother had just had a stroke, I was determined to make this year's trip, to work on our beautiful off-the-grid property that I bought for a song. Well, miraculously, I actually made it there from CA alive (barely; but I revived!) If I had been able to access the internet, I would have invited any of you in the area to come and visit--the whole little winding woodsy road is inhabited by the most earthy, wonderful families, building their own solar-powered homes, living off the grid. Next year we plan to fell some trees (with neighbors' professional help), add another solar panel, possibly dig a pond, and enroll our son in a blacksmithing course at the Putney School.

Now I'm going to post this, and see if the link to the pictures worked. I tried it out on the practice forum until the link worked, so it should work here. If not, I'll just give up until tomorrow. Here goes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45450734@N02/

Oh, I know this should go in some other forum; but I just wanted to stress the fact that we bought the place to take our kids to, so that they'd have some concept that there are other ways to live than in suburbia, where we're stuck for the moment.

ETA: OK, the pictures as they appear on the link are all in random order; but if you click on the two little "albums" on the right, labeled "Outside the house" and "inside the house" or something like that, it's a more ordered picture of the place. It is so much fun, living off the grid--if only for a couple of months every summer! I haven't been this excited about anything since I "discovered" blacksmithing!

ETA again: And besides the house, there are the wonderful swimming holes! And only an hour and 1/4 away, Old Sturbridge Village, my favorite spot on earth!

One rather sad thing: I noticed that I already have more friends in Vermont than I've made here in CA in 6 years. How did this happen? I mean why do people here in CA just sit in their houses, and people in Vermont talk and make friends? I MUST MOVE THERE! I am convinced that both my physical and mental health depend upon that.
    Last edited by ke3; 7-22-11 at 2:31am.

OMG, that house is unbelievable!!! And you've decorated it so peacefully. It's gorgeous. I am so happy for you. Enjoy it!

We are trying to buy something in Vermont, as we go there every year on family vacation--and we also LOVE it. In fact, one of my boys got his masters in Burlington because he had grown to love Vermont so much on our vacations, and has lived there ever since--and two of my other children are moving just next week to live in Burlington, too. They're moving from Hoboken and Brooklyn, and they can't wait for the whole Vermont experience.

Before they get to Burlington they'll be spending August with us at Stratton.

Thanks for sharing your photos--inspiring!

And you are very right about the people--DH and I also have more friends in Vermont than in NJ! And we're only there a month out of the year!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What a nice home!

What beautiful photos! I giggled when I saw "unidentified flowering objects". LOL.

Next time you go to OSV, let me know. I live in Sturbridge, and there are several nice coffee shops where we could meet up. Or we could meet in the village itself, as Sturbridge residents have free admission. My favorite area is the Freeman Farm, way out back, where I check out the veggie garden and converse with the animals. Second favorite is the relatively new Parsonage garden.

That's a dream house!! So happy for you. I love the atmosphere you have created there!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
    My family lived in VT for a year when I was about 9, and it left a lasting impression on it. It was the first place I ever hiked in the mountains, and I loved it.

Beautiful!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

This place is georgous! Lucky you!

Beautiful! I belong on the prairie so all the trees make me feel claustrophobic but I can see how beautiful a place it is. I'd love to visit (but I would have to leave after three days so I could see the horizon)
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Oh I am so excited you are back! I had wondered where you had gone. Your house is so beautiful! I can totally see how moving there would help your physical and emotional health. Everything about it is amazing.

Is that a picture of you and your son on the last page?
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Thread Information