Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me to not hate my neighbor

Is it possible for you to move? I think I would seriously consider it before living in this nightmare! Or, more accurately, next door to this nightmare. Do you own your home? If not, and it's a matter of getting out of a lease, look around and see if you can find something more sane. Good luck - this would be pure hell for me, so I can empathize with what you're going through.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

We own our home and I'm really attached to it (aside from the obvious downside ) I've built organic gardens, done stonework, built patios....we have 17 stately evergreen trees on this little quarter-acre, lots of wildlife, wild herbs, perennials, etc. My late kitties' ashes are interred here. But I've been looking for another place, though it tears at my heart and my pride. Maybe this is meant to bring me a home with more garden space, something I've always wanted to have??? Thanks everyone for making me feel less crazy. I'll weigh all the options.

I don't have much to offer, except alot of sympathy!
    (((((hugs)))))

can you put up a (at least 6') fence between you and neighbors? Not the kind you can see thru, but block them totally?

Are you sure that the local authorities can't help you at all?

The stinky piles of stuff in the yard might be a code violation. If insects are breeding in the piles, or the piles are attracting rodents, the town might be able to do something about them.

The dogs in the yard, as well as the chickens, might interest the local SPCA or Humane Society.

Selling pot to the neighborhood kids really ought to concern the police.

I would start by calling town hall, the SPCA and the police. Explain your concerns and ask what they can do to help you. They may claim there is nothing they can do at this time. Then you ask them what to look for, so that when things get bad enough, you can ask for help. You want them to tell you, "When X happens, you can call us and we can do Y." In some places, just making the initial call generates a report, even if no action is taken. That helps later on, when things get worse, because it helps to have a paper trail.

I'd also contact Habitat for Humanity. I think the home buyers have to sign an agreement with HFH, and upkeep of the house and yard might be part of that. There are definitely rules about income, and I don't think drug sales count.

Fortunately for the kids, if Child Protective Services got involved once, just taking the kids out of school isn't going to remove the family from the social service radar. But I'd call CPS and ask them what warning signs you should look for, so that you can make a report if things get any worse for the kids.

google "liquid ass"

It sounds like hell. I'd certainly start by putting up a big fence, and yes, find out what constitutes "stepping over the line" by the various authorities and then watch for those signals. But also be prepared that if you report them for whatever misdemeanor, and it's not enough for them to disappear from the neighborhood that they may decide you're at fault and make things even worse.

What about the other neighbors? Surely they're bothered just as much?

I agree with others that you could probably call social services, the city, the police, etc, and at least get these neighbors to remedy the obvious violations of city codes and federal laws. And depending on what your driveway looks like, I would consider getting out a jackhammer (or hiring someone with one), and clearing a nice, long, foot-wide area of dirt between your property and theirs, and plant a nice row of trees that are tall and thick enough to completely hide their house from yours. Maybe you already have a space to plant? Maybe not. I'd prefer the tree solution to a high fence, as a fence might look a bit odd, either sitting there on only one side of the house, or surrounding your house as though it were a prison. Actually, that's what your neighbors' lifestyle is doing: making you a prisoner. You can't enjoy walking out the front door of your home!

Maybe some kind of soundproofing work on my house? Fence? Sound-resistant windows like they put in houses around airports?

"Good fences make good neighbors" is an old saying that's true. Likewise sound resistant windows. The condo I lived in before, everyone was nice enough but it was close quarters, and I was endlessly thankful for the double glazed windows the previous owners had put in, they really kept the sound down. If you own your place, a nice thick privacy fence and triple-paned or whatever windows are not only good for your current situation but attractive to potential future buyers, neighbors aside.

I would also be inclined to call any and all relevant authorities, any time possible. Cops for noise, SPCA, child abuse hotline, for anything that even comes close to being a reason to call. Society creates these services for a reason, and the more attention is called to it, the more likely that eventually something will be done. A track record of past calls will make any one future situation look more serious to the authorities and maybe eventually result in beneficial change.

Just one thing to add, from the other side of the fence--when we lived in CT, we actually got an official citation from the city once, saying that we were in violation of city code #%^^&&** because our bushes were growing too far over the sidewalk in front of our house! And the "street" was a one-way old farm road about 8 feet wide, and the "sidewalk" was a tiny strip that petered out just before our house, and just after it, so that everyone who used our street for a walking path--many people--always walked in the street anyway, as it was so very rare for a car to go by. The letter threatened us with some enormous fine--in the thousands, I remember--for a few inches of bush growing over the sidewalk! --My point being that there are so many city ordinances about things you might not even be aware of that can force the neighbors into compliance with a whole lot of things.

Thread Information