Thread: Tomato and apple chutney

Kevin

Tomato and apple chutney

Simmering on the stove as I type is a pan of tomato and apple chutney. Cooking apples from our neighbour, tomatoes and onions from our garden, sultanas, vinegar and spices from, er, the supermarket... I'll be putting it into jars in about an hour, and then it should be ready to eat by Christmas - the day after Christmas we have cold turkey, ham, salad and potatoes and I'm already looking forward to eating my home made chutney with that. Also good in cheese sandwiches.

Anyway, I used parts of two different recipes, which I thought I would share with you. I've just realised that many readers may not be familiar with the metric measurements, but 1 kg is roughly 2 pounds, 500 g is one pound and 500 ml is a pint. The vinegar is the 5% acidity type, not the stronger pickling vinegar:

Tomato & Apple Chutney

Ingredients
    1 kg cooking apples, peeled and cored
    1 kg tomatoes (red or green or a mix)
    500 ml vinegar (malt, cider or white)
    500 g onions, peeled and sliced
    250 g dried fruit - raisins, sultanas or apricots (or a mixture)
    500 g soft brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Teaspoon of salt

Method
    Finely chop the apple, tomato and onion
    Reserve half the vinegar and put the rest and all the other ingredients in a large pan
    Simmer uncovered for around 2 hours. Add extra vinegar as the chutney cooks
    The chutney is done when a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan leaves a clear trail with no traces of liquid
    Pour the hot chutney into warm, clean jars. Seal and leave in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month before eating

ALTERNATIVE VERSION

Ingredients

• 1 kg ripe tomatoes, skinned
    • 1 kg cooking apples, peeled and cored
    • 450g onions
    • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 400ml malt or cider vinegar
    • 300g demerara or light muscovado sugar
    • 225g sultanas
    • 2 tsp salt
    • 15g whole pickling spices, e.g. a mixture of allspice berries, dried chillies, ginger, celery seeds and peppercorns, tied in a muslin bag (optional)

Method
    Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 2 hours 30 mins

1. Roughly chop the tomatoes, apples and onions and put them in a preserving pan or large, heavy-based, stainless steel saucepan with the garlic and vinegar. Slowly bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the fruit and vegetables are tender, stirring the mixture occasionally.

2. Add all the remaining ingredients, including the pickling spices, if using, and heat gently, stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring back to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring often towards the end of the cooking time, to prevent sticking. By this time the chutney should be well-reduced and very thick – if necessary, cook for a few more minutes.

3. Spoon the chutney into warm, sterilised jars. Cover the chutney with discs of waxed paper, waxed-side down to cover the surface completely. Cover the jars with cellophane or plastic screw-topped lids (not metal lids, as they will corrode). Tighten the lids when the chutney is completely cold, and label.

4. Store in a cool dark place and leave to mature for at least 1 month, before eating. Use within 1 year of making. Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 1 month.

Kevin

i've always had an attraction to chutneys so thanks for the recipe Kevin. While I am enjoy looking over recipes I've yet to make any because I seldom eat meat. Any other suggestions on what to eat with chutneys? I'm thinking maybe sweet potatoes, what else?

Kevin
    Do you eat cheese? This style of chutney is often served with some good bread and a strong hard cheese like a mature Cheddar, or a crumbly white Cheshire or a Wensleydale. Even a hard blue cheese like Stilton. Add a few cherry tomatoes and some celery sticks to your plate and a spoonful of chutney, ideally with a pint of India Pale Ale to wash it all down...

It's really a kind of relish, so I am sure you could eat it with sweet potato, or perhaps as a dip for ordinary fried potatoes. One specific type, mango chutney, is served with curries, or before a curry with popadums and Indian pickles (very hot pickled limes being my favourite). Over here every supermarket sells jars of mango chutney and all kinds of variations on the type I described, but I guess it isn't as common in other countries.

Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the thoughts on chutneys. Using them with curries sounds great and actually with cheddar, I can see that. Thanks so much. Now that apples are back in season I'll have to give this a try and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again!

Thread Information