Thread: Care Package Ideas

Care Package Ideas

Hi all,

DH and I are putting together a post-surgery care package for a friend. The friend is a male around 70 years old. So far we have:

a variety puzzel book
    a book
    some linen spray
    some Burt's Bees
    a couple of hot cocoa packets

Basically, we just want to send a few things to brighten his recovery time. I thought about a movie or a candle. I kind of want to stay away from food since I don't know what his dietary restrictions will be.

Any other ideas as to what we might include? I want it to be special...

Does he have any hobbies where you could get a kit for him to work on? Other ideas: audio books (in case he can't concentrate on printed word), subscription to Netflix if he likes movies and has a computer to select them, magazines for his interests, pictures of his favorite places or grandkids (maybe on a digital photo frame).

Personally I'd skip the linen spray, candles etc. That's more a chick thing. He may want to have food/snacks on hand for visitors, even if his own diet is restricted.

When my husband and I had surgery one day apart, we got lots of meals from friends (for eating right away or for the freezer) and those were the best. People just asked ahead of time about food restrictions.

As for non-food items that people brought, I really enjoyed the cross-word puzzle books (complete with a pack of pencils) and jig saw puzzle. A friend's mom also sent a bag of paperback books. Several were not to my taste (so I just passed them along to others), but a couple looked interesting and it was a nice gesture.

Tea was another welcome thing that people brought. And Christmas cookies! But this was Christmas week, so that was entirely appropriate.

My favorite really was the meals. Even when I could cook, it sure was nice not to have to. Also very appreciated were the non-tangible gifts. We had people volunteer to walk our dogs, clean our cats' litterbox (these were really good friends!) and drive us to the store and doctor appointments.

Kara

@herbgeek--I thought the same thing about the candle,which is why there isn't one included. The linen spray I am pretty sure he'll like, though! Pictures are a good idea, though, as is food for guests. Hadn't thought about those things!

@treehugger--what nice friends you have! Normally I'd be happy to cook, take care of pets, or do any other service-type thing, but this person lives thousands of miles away. A gift card to a food delivery place or a dogsitting service might work, though! :-)

If you know his interests, how about a magazine or two?

I don't know if this is in your budget or not, but a small fruit basket, with a couple of apples and/or pears, some nuts or crackers and cheese usually is a big hit. If he can't eat everything in it, there's usually someone around who will.

Magazines or collections of short stories are sometimes better than novels, because they are easier to put down and pick up again without losing your train of thought.

Not part of the care package, but sending a card or a letter (real snail mail) every other day or two doesn't take long, but lets him know that you are thinking of him. And getting a bit of mail breaks up the monotony of recovery.

Word search puzzles are also good during the early stages of recovery, when the patient is tired, but still needs to be occupied.

If he has access to a DVD player, and you know his all-time favorite TV series, see if you can find a season or two on DVD.

My supermarket has gourmet hot chocolate packets for sale individually.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Does he have any hobbies where you could get a kit for him to work on? Other ideas: audio books (in case he can't concentrate on printed word), subscription to Netflix if he likes movies and has a computer to select them, magazines for his interests, pictures of his favorite places or grandkids (maybe on a digital photo frame).

Those are pretty good suggestions, and wouldn't cost more than many other things.

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful suggestions! I knew I came to the right place! ;-) I'm not too worried about cost--just want it to be nice. You've all given me some great ideas--I'll be using them!
    Thanks again! :-)

Thread Information