Thread: Need a new bank

Need a new bank

Maybe. I use ING, and love it. However, I received notice a few weeks ago that they have been bought out, or had to sell their US division or something. End result is that they won't be ING anymore. I am expecting the worst. I have a free Wells Fargo checking acct that I use as a kind of liquid emergency fund, and an account back in TN at another regional bank that costs me $10/mo. now that I don't use them for direct deposit anymore. I keep it for rent checks from my house to be deposited, and the payment to be taken from. Easier to just keep it to this point. Now WF is saying they will be charging me $10/mo for that account, so it will be closed this weekend. I want to look around and find a new primary bank so if ING changes in the ways I'm afraid it will I will be prepared.

I am living outside the US temporarily (for another year perhaps), and keep a US address. ING is great in that I can do everything online. That is point one. ING is also low/no fees. That's point 2. Any suggestions? Basic checking/savings is what I want. ING's ability to set up savings accts on the fly and name them for specific things I great and if I can duplicate that it would be great. I'm up for a credit union, but it needs to be able to do the online stuff. I really wish I qualified for USA Bank(?), the one the military folks can use. It sounds wonderful.

I figured asking here was a good start, and I'll check out any suggestions on Bank-Rate and other sites.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I would guess almost any bank today has the ability to allow you to do online banking. I have my major account with a large brokerage and a local account with a small local bank. With the local bank I can do everything online. Bill pay with small and large companies. You can setup monthly payments. They send a monthly check for me to our church. They mail the check.

These small banks will setup with a third party to do this for them. This enables them to offer the same services as a large bank.

Here is a link that explains what is going on with ING USA: http://ing.us/about-ing/newsroom/pre...sa-capital-one

In a nutshell, ING USA is being sold to Capitol One.

I predict that it will be years before any of us ING users see any change - probably never. ING is light years ahead of Capital One.

@spirit I hope your right! I have come to detest banks, I closed all my Chase accounts and moved to a local credit union. Can't sing their praises enough.
    I manage a relatives money and I opened up an account at ING a few years ago, each month I transfer $100.00 to this account for him, the interest rate is still way above Chases and it's so simple. I just fear what Capital one will do to it.

For now, I'll close the Wells Farge account, keep the ING account until I see what happens, keep the local bank in Nashville for the house accounts, and look into Mom's small town bank when I'm back to see how on-line they are. I'll be glad when I can just have one bank (sell house, locate back to US...). Thanks for the link to the article that explains the ING change a bit more. Doesn't really say HOW they will change, just why.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I use a credit union and really like it MUCH better than any bank. You should look into that.

Thread Information