Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dollar Store Economy

The Dollar Store Economy

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/ma...pagewanted=all
    I found this article about Dollar Store shopping interesting. It appears that even folks with healthy incomes are now making more purchases at dollar stores as part of a new saving money mentality. Even so, our desire to purchase masses of cheap stuff continues regardless of need as these types of stores proliferate and are actually doing better than Walmart.
    We have one in our neighborhood and except for some kitchenware, I have never seen anything in there I would want to spend hard-earned money on. As they are popular for groceries, I would be concerned about the origination or content of some of the products but I guess that doesn't bother most shoppers.

I have read some stories about food items like chocolate that were sent to Africa and then sold in stores in NA plus some other items so generally I avoid them. They are handy if you need a cheap vase for a special occasion bouquet or similar situation.
    In fact, I don't find that dollar store items are that cheap when one compares the volume of contents with mainline stores.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The one in my neighborhood square is doing well - that said there's nothing I want in it. And I've made several trips in there over time just to be sure.

Both these and the Ocean Job Lot stores in my area seem more catered to shopping for "stuff" than for specific items. Which is not the way I shop.

I do not shop at these stores. I guess I can understand why people do however. Years ago back in the day when there were Dime Stores and I lived pay to pay, I stopped in each pay day. I would get the roll of TP, small bottle of soap and such. That was all I could afford to spend at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Both these and the Ocean Job Lot stores in my area seem more catered to shopping for "stuff" than for specific items. Which is not the way I shop.
    That is a really good point and puts into words what bugs me about the few dollar stores I have been in.

I also firmly believe that if one compared the volume and quality of the Dollar Store items to comparable products at other discount stores (Costco, Target, etc.) then the Dollar Store wouldn't look like a good value any more. But clearly their marketing strategy works. Everything for $1 is really irresistable to a lot of people and, I think, gets them to buy things they otherwise wouldn't.

I have found the dollar stores useful once a year to purchase different kinds of candy that I put into gingerbread house kits that I make for my nieces (I bake the house pieces, make up an icing mix, add candy, and mail to them).

Kara

I rarely shop there, but I have gotten:

-- Goodies for DD's party bags (coloring books, crayons, stickers)
    -- A tiara and wand set for DD's Halloween costume. It's still one of her favorite toys!
    -- Random kitchen utensils (potato peelers, serving spoons, can openers). So far they have been decent quality.

It appears that even folks with healthy incomes are now making more purchases at dollar stores as part of a new saving money mentality.
    ok what's the quality of the stuff purchased? Is it just going to fall apart right away?

As they are popular for groceries, I would be concerned about the origination or content of some of the products but I guess that doesn't bother most shoppers.
    +1 yea really.

It's a sad commentary on our economy I think. I think it is mostly a reflection of people who are just barely scraping by by buying much of what they need at the dollar store.

If those with healthy incomes want deals fine, but if they have just given up caring about the quality of anything or where their food comes from etc.. Well, their story is not sad so much as I don't know, knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing. And really not socially positive.

They are handy if you need a cheap vase for a special occasion bouquet or similar situation.
    Vases are readily available everywhere, thrifts have more than they can deal with. I got all the vases I own now free (mostly at really free markets, though I've found vases when taking things to be recycled etc..).

I also firmly believe that if one compared the volume and quality of the Dollar Store items to comparable products at other discount stores (Costco, Target, etc.) then the Dollar Store wouldn't look like a good value any more.
    Yea, in the cases where you can use the quantity.
    Trees don't grow on money

I buy wrapping paper, cards, crossword puzzle books, Chiclets, and a few other misc. items. Probably shop there a few times/year.

I think they've hurt our local Hallmark store's business more than any other because they sell pretty decent wrapping paper, gift bags, tissue paper and cards for just $1.

Vases really are NOT everywhere for a good price at the thrift stores. At my Goodwill they charge $2 - $3 for the mundane clear glass florist's vases that everyone and his brother has several of. I"ve been complaining about it for years because I want $1vases. I make and give away flower arrangements and I don't want to worry about people getting their vase back to me.

Finally, the Goodwill here opened a "last call" store where they send everything that has not sold at area stores. There, I can buy glassware by the pound. I can't remember how much it is by the pound (? maybe 50 cents?) but I got all the vases I need there.

I'll admit I've bought pregnancy tests at the dollar store. $10 for something I'm going to pee on? No.

Mostly I am not a dollar store fan, though.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Thread Information