Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dividing Hostas

Dividing Hostas

This is my first time dividing my huge, overgrown Hostas. Google search has me confused - spring is best time year, August is best time of year to divide Hostas; cut down to crown, don’t cut; divide with square edged spade, dig out whole root, wash roots and pull apart. See my confusion? I’d appreciate advise from those experienced in dividing Hostas or anyone who just has a common sense opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    This is my first time dividing my huge, overgrown Hostas. Google search has me confused - spring is best time year, August is best time of year to divide Hostas; cut down to crown, don’t cut; divide with square edged spade, dig out whole root, wash roots and pull apart. See my confusion? I’d appreciate advise from those experienced in dividing Hostas or anyone who just has a common sense opinion.
    I don't know what the best time is for hosta division, but now is a decent time for all perennials with roots, providing that you give them adequate water.

When I divide hostas I make sure that I get a section of plant that has some root and some leaves. I put them in a hole where the crown is at the same level as it was in the original plant.

When you mention "cut down to the crown" I'm not sure that keeping leaves on the divided plant is useful, but I always do it.

My experience is that they can be divided any time, any where, any how! They are extremely hardy. I just dig down into the clump with a shovel/spade and pull it out and plant it elsewhere. You don't have to wash it off. And if your clump is really big, you can take a bunch of cuttings for elsewhere.

Hostas are best divided in the fall. I live in Zone 5 and we divide in September. I have been taught, by hosta growers and hybridizers, to dig up the plant completed, divide with a square edged spade, replant. Hostas tend to heave themselves out of the ground over time, so you may have to replant slightly deeper than where the crown was on the original plant, but don't go overboard and plant too deeply or mulch heavily as hostas don't tend to grow well under those conditions.

rodeosweetheart
    When we lived up north, September was ideal, and ours were always very hardy, but I did keep the leaves on them.

The deed is done. I cut the leaves down to about 3" so I could see where I was dividing, used a sharpened, square edge spade, removed sections of Hostas including a big clump of dirt and replanted in a well watered hole. As suggested, I also divided and transplanted other perennials.

I remember hearing of a 13 year old boy who had a beautiful perennial garden. His secret was that he was young enough to not be afraid to divide and transplant. If he didn’t like where a plant was he simply dug it up and planted it elsewhere. Now that’s the attitude.

I always thought perennials would be easy. Little did I know how often you have to thin them, to keep them healthy.
    But hostas are one of the slower-expanding perennials, and don't seem to suffer when they are large.
    I probably wouldn't have cut the leaves back this early, but they will probably still be okay.

Just wondering what variety of hosta the OP was dividing. I understand that some varieties are "natcherly" larger than others.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Just wondering what variety of hosta the OP was dividing. I understand that some varieties are "natcherly" larger than others.
    I've forgotten the varieties. I've purchased many common variety Hostas from local nurseries over the years, seems they all carry the same few varieties. Size wise, when mature, they vary from 4"high/12"wide to 3'high/4'wide. The small ones are just right it's the huge Hostas that needed dividing. So far they look good. Larger Hostas are common but I really like the small Hostas. Someday I'd like to find a Tom Thumb Hosta, may need to order one from somewhere.

I think my favorite is Krossa Regal, which is really big, but I love all of them! I have about 15 varieties. I bought a "mouse ears" last year, which is really small. I think a chipmunk chewed it down, but fortunately it came back. Its so tiny!

Thread Information