Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will start work soon

Will start work soon

Yes I landed a job. It's not just some poor paying job to tide me over or anything either. It won't make me rich but it's real work on which I can support myself and save and have some play money (I have been supporting myself all along, but I've just been spending down money).

It is a bit bittersweet to be working again (I'm probably going to have to quit some things I started in my unemployment unfortunately - like I started studying massage) but it is also a GREAT RELIEF!!!! The unemployment rate is really high here (over 12%). Being unemployed took me to some pretty dark places mentally. Dark places from which really noone could help me. I felt like whether I ever worked again was ultimately in the hands of fate and that none of my actions could assure that I would work again. And this despite having a few years savings with which to retrain (ha, but I wasn't having an easy time getting college courses!) and look for work. In other words despite being in a really good position relatively speaking.

I actually found work quite easily, after 2 months or so of searching (and I have major survivors guilt toward all those who are still unemployed!). I was unemployed longer than 2 months but I didn't look for work right away.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 8-31-11 at 4:06am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Congratulations on finding work that will meet your needs. Assuage your guilt by various means - food banks, donating items to charitable organizations that can use them , you know what is best needed in your community.

We are entering a huge shift in thinking, I believe, where the power of the individual is being pushed into supporting the community in constructive ways rather than the self-centred materialistic state of thought that has prevailed for the last decades.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good for you, ANM! I hope your work is fulfilling as well as providing the other things that you want.

"We are entering a huge shift in thinking, I believe, where the power of the individual is being pushed into supporting the community in constructive ways rather than the self-centred materialistic state of thought that has prevailed for the last decades. "

Do you think so? Maybe in the increasingly scrambling middle and working classes, although this story gives me some hope:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/30/...00-salary-cut/

Congratulations on the new job!! I am sure it feels great to be "back in the saddle" again.

DH just found a job after 2+ years of unemployment just this past April. He went through very similar experiences during that time. Very hard. Wondering if he would ever work again and whether his efforts to find work were going to make any difference at all. He did start some things like his freelance business and took some classes. Was forced to drop the last one due to the job offer.

And yes, he felt a bit guilty too.....he met with some former coworkers last week for breakfast and felt a bit funny saying he had a job. So understand the feelings of survivor's guilt too.

Congratulations on finding work that will meet your needs. Assuage your guilt by various means - food banks, donating items to charitable organizations that can use them , you know what is best needed in your community.
    I plan to give to an organization around here that provides emotional support (not therapy or anything just support) and job seeking advice to job seekers. They aren't perfect and really can only do so much when there are so few jobs, but I was glad they were there.

We are entering a huge shift in thinking, I believe, where the power of the individual is being pushed into supporting the community in constructive ways rather than the self-centred materialistic state of thought that has prevailed for the last decades.
    Maybe. I've been involved in such things (and cut back my involvement to take care of #1 by looking for work, because I know very well no community is going to save me entirely (at least not currently, haha) if I don't have an income). I think the increased competitive pressures to find work of any sort these days might not lead to this at all though. Scrambling for jobs and doing anything to get them tends to destroy community (putting in any overtime in order to keep a job thus having no time for anything else, moving for jobs, etc. etc.).

And yes, he felt a bit guilty too.....he met with some former coworkers last week for breakfast and felt a bit funny saying he had a job. So understand the feelings of survivor's guilt too.
    Yea. I'd tell people who deal with the jobless I'd been unemployed 3 months and they would be like "oh your just a newbie to unemployment, just an unemployment virgin, not unemployed for long at all in this economy". Um .... this is NOT encouraging! Though I suppose it's the truth. I knew better than to spend too much time around the unemployed (spending a lot of time around other unhappy unemployed people would have been toxic to me because I would have gotten even more hopeless). I myself have had longer bouts of unemployment (like in the previous recession, oddly enough).
    Trees don't grow on money

Congratulations on the new job!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Glad you were able to find something.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

congratulations, good news is always welcome!

Congratulations on your new job - I hope you are still able to fit in all those new interests!

Thread Information