Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fun things would you do with your 16 year old son for the next 3 years before he

What fun things would you do with your 16 year old son for the next 3 years before he

leaves for college?

I have a short 3 years left before I am an empty nester and I don't want to regret the time I have with him.

For those of you who have the benefit of looking back on your life with your kids at home, what would you do differently that I can learn from?

My son is an introverted good boy who does well in school and is pretty mature for his age. He does not need a lot of friends in his life in fact he is happiest on his own.

What kinds of things can we do together for fun and connection that he might enjoy and remember and I might too!

thanks for any and all ideas!

Ooh, I'll be watching this thread. I have a thirteen-year-old boy, and he seems to be aging just too darn quickly. :o)
    Peace through homemaking. ~ My blogs: Antique Photographs and Mindful Beginnings

Well, if you are athletic, join a running group or a biking group and do some marathons or other activities together. If you both are artistic, how about classes in something way out there like blacksmithing or clay or welding. How about weekend travel to something that you take turns finding. Or how about volunteering together for something that you both feel is important. If he likes animals, lots of places could use you both. How about joint projects around the house?

Really depends on his interests.

my kids are just under 21, just under 18 and 14 right now (14 you is a boy but girls are not girly) So I gotta say I love doing things with them that are things I like too. They are old enough to do about anything as long as they share the interest. Here is my list:

* concerts, like local bands, for me punk, most years we do Warped Tour, awesome
    * teaching him to cook from scratch, I have convinced all my kids that this is very useful, since not many people know how then when they are on their own they can offer to cook if friends buy groceries and everyone eats well
    * hiking, just little ones, even on city outdoor malls with a stop for ice cream, boys eat a lot (you can ignore him looking at the girls)
    * rec center, you don't need to even be doing the same thing, just go together

Hope that helps, I cannot seem to get rid of my kids for very long so you may be surprised

My youngest son? Go to college football games. Learn more about college football. Watch hours and hours of college football on Saturdays.

It's a very long autumn at Casa Lee.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Mrs-M
    One thing I like doing is sitting down and talking with my kids. I mean really talking with them, like I'm their best friend. I'd be doing a whole lot of that.

My eldest will be 16 soon with two younger brothers behind. I started taking my sons to the gym with me when they were pre-teens. Lots of one-on-one time (except now I've got all three of them there at once!). We also talk a lot about nutrition and "eat healthy" together.

The older one also goes with my wife to yoga and pilates and has really enjoyed it. But my kids are athletic like my wife.

We went hiking, white water rafting and horseback riding this summer (day trips). All were great experiences.

Taking little road trips to potential colleges might not be a bad idea either if he is headed in that direction. And teaching him how to drive.

My Dad took me on a week long road trip the summer after my junior year of hight school to check out colleges. He did the same thing with my sister and I think we both remember it fondly.

seekingsimplicity, I think it's so great that you are aware of this time passing quickly and want to make the most of it. Your son is very, very lucky. I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to say that no matter what you end up doing, I know it will mean a lot to you both. Have fun!

Kara

I let mine live; that was the best I could do.

Thread Information