Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simplifying Travel Cosmetics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simplifying Travel Cosmetics

Ok peeps I have made something that is probably pretty simple into a GIANT complicated mess and I need your help.

(I am blaming it on TSA airline rules)

I seem to need to have about 3 cosmetic packs at the ready?! We travel a lot and sometimes it is to go overnight by car, sometimes it is international with a bigger suitcase and sometimes we travel and I cannot check a bag and lots of times it is backpacking in the wilderness.

So should I pack for the different kinds of travel so I am always ready to go? Meaning, there will be a bag that has cosmetics that are in the small containers that are allowed to be carried on the plane, a bag with stuff where the size does not matter for overnight, a bag for super limited light weight stuff to carry in a backpack on a long trek where weight matters?

How should I simplify this? Am I on the right track?

Depends on how often you travel for those various purposes. Cosmetic items have a fairly short shelf life.
    I take the same things no matter where/how I'm traveling. Small tube of toothpaste, small bar of soap, lip balm. If I'm not staying with friends/relatives, small shampoo & conditioner. That's it!

I don't wear a face most of the time, when I took two short trips (one by plane, one by car) last month, I took the following makeup:

Covergirl cover up stick
    Burt's Bees colored lip gloss
    Pressed powder compact
    Clinique Touch Base for eyes - in a shimmery brownish color I use for eyeshadow
    Clinique waterproof mascara

That's it!

For plane trip (I was visiting friends), I also took a travel size deodorant and a small thing of lotion. Didn't do shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste since my friends always have that for guests.

For car trip (church ministries conference), I added shampoo, conditioner, more lotion, toothpaste.

I'm a one bag traveler. I take the same size stuff, regardless if I'm going by plane or car. The only difference is that if I'm not visiting friends, I'll add more lotion.

I see no reason in traveling with soap (unless one is allergic and needs to have a specific soap) because even the cheapest hotels will supply at least soap.

I always have travel-size stuff (usually a freebie from long-haul flights) in the house, plus I use travel size mascara etc from the free gifts given out periodically when I buy other beauty products. They go in my hand-luggage.

The 'real' makeup goes in the hold luggage and it's what's currently in my makeup bag!

I wouldn't bring any makeup backpacking, so that's just toiletries. For other trips, I use mineral makeup. Doesn't go "bad" (since its dry, no place for bacteria), weighs nothing, doesn't take up much space, and there are no TSA restrictions on it. For toiletries its: shower gel, 2 in 1 soap/conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, rubbing alcohol (for my ears after showering) and lotion of some sort. And contact solution.

When traveling by plane I pack only one bag with toiletries. I don't pack things like toothpaste any more because I can easily get that at my destination, same with deodorant and even shampoo and lotion. For makeup I use mineral makeup now so if I'm only doing carry-on it goes through without any problems or I toss my toiletry bag in my big suitcase if I'm checking luggage.

In general I don't feel the need to keep my makeup with me at all times, just a lipstick in my purse. For those camping trips I stick with a lip balm, Burts Bees usually

I'm not a big makeup wearer, but I saw a tip in Budget Travel Mag this month, to put small amounts of liquid make up (foundation, moisturizer etc) in contact lens solution cases to meet the tsa rules. I thought that was a useful idea. I get a ton of these cases as they seem to come with every bottle of solution, then the eye dr gives me one, etc...so you could toss easily after use.

MamaM
    I wear mascara, Burts Bees Colored Lip Balm, a little powdered concealer and a light color on my eyes. I haven't airlined travelled in 6 years, so I am not up on what is in or out. Is a regular mascara tube denied?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaM View Post
    I wear mascara, Burts Bees Colored Lip Balm, a little powdered concealer and a light color on my eyes. I haven't airlined travelled in 6 years, so I am not up on what is in or out. Is a regular mascara tube denied?
    About the mascara, it really seems to depend on the TSA agent you get. Not kidding. Since it's a thick liquid, I've read stories of people being told to pitch theirs or put it in 3-1-1 bag if they wanted to keep it. Lipsticks seem to be a gray area, too. A friend of mine was told at TSA two years ago that she either fit them in the bag or they go in the trash.

Tradd and MamaM, how are the Burts Bees colored glosses? Are they long lasting? Goopy? Natural looking? I'm using up all my other stuff and am curious about those. What colors are best?

I haven't traveled by air in years and had no idea the rules were so strict. Mascara? Really?

Many years ago my mom and I went to London and at that time we were using baking soda as a face scrub. It was packed in a small baggie and luckily we didn't get searched. What would they have thought?

Thread Information