Thread: Knook Hook - knitting with a crochet hook

Knook Hook - knitting with a crochet hook

I have been crocheting since I was 12 years old. I know how to do basic knitting, but it was always too slow for me compared to crocheting, but I still enjoy the look and feel of knit stitches. Well, about a month or so ago I was in Target and came across these things called Knook Hooks. Looked interesting so... I splurged and picked them up. They are basically wooden crochet hooks with a hole at the non-hook end which a string is passed through. Using this hook and utilizing the string to hold stitches, it is really possible to create actual knit and purl stitches! Takes some practise and I haven't gotten my tension or technique down quite yet, but I really am enjoying it!

What I got at Target can be seen at www.leisurearts.com.

After further research on the web, I've discovered that these hooks were created in Japan and are called Super Miracle Needles and/or Amazing Needles, etc. Found another set on ebay, so I just had to get them.

Anyway, I thought I would share and see if anyone else has discovered these.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Interesting. Never heard of that before. I do both and am hoping to improve my knowledge of both. May look into that further, though it's easiest to stay with what I know.

Can you use crochet and knit stitches in the same project? I could see that being useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Can you use crochet and knit stitches in the same project? I could see that being useful.
    Yes, apparently you can!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Wow, I'm going to have to look into that, as I do crochet, and have always been stymied by knitting. Thanks!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I have not heard of those; they sound cool. I both knit and crochet & I combine them when making bags with a round bottom - I crochet the circle because it's so much easier than knitting one and then pick up the stitches and knit up the sides. I have made a few small backpacks or felted bags this way.

i wonder if you can use knit and crochet patterns interchangebly? It is amazing to see some of the things that people invent! I am building a pretty large stash and would love to try this for a bit of variety. I love the look of knitted projects, but don't like to knit!

Sherry

I found this really interesting, too. I have crocheted since I was little, but have never mastered knitting. Apparently you can also get these Knooks at WalMart. Since there are several around here, it might be worth a trip to pick one up. Where in Target did you find one? By that, I mean in what department. Ours don't sell yarn, so I wouldn't know where to look.

I did a little crocheting when I was a teenager and did a few crochet baby jackets, cot blankets, shawsls when my family was young - but I much preferred to knit and used to do lots of complicated patterns like Arran and Fairisle. My granny used to knit us fairisle sweaters, tammies, mitts and scarves, all from her head - no written down patterns for a highland woman!

I still like to knit, but do less and less of it as anything weighty becomes too heavy for my increasingly arthritic fingers and wrists.

Sissy,
    You can't use the patterns interchangeably, but there might be a website or something that lets you convert them. I find that some things that are easily crocheted are difficult to knit (circle I mentioned being one) and some things that look great in a knit stitch don't work well in the bulkier crocheted stitch (some sweaters, for instance).

Thanks, Bastle. The tutorial made it look so easy, but I am not into making potholders, scarves or other things that just get longer, lol.

I will look on the net and see what I find.

Sherry

Thread Information