Thread: "urban self-reliance" workshops at Seattle Public Library

"urban self-reliance" workshops at Seattle Public Library

This is so cool I can hardly stand it:

http://www.spl.org/about-the-library...lf-reliance-97

I miss Seattle!

Great idea that maybe other places can replicate, though, so thought worth sharing.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Cool!

Very cool! We had something similar to that here in Minneapolis last spring that I had wanted to attend. I can't remember if it was through the library, though. No, I think it might have been through the county.

That West Seattle Tool Library sounds like a great concept!
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Yeah, that and a similar thing at the Phinney Neighborhood Center are the kind of thing that makes Seattle such a great place to live. Waaaah! I miss home so much sometimes. If you started a tool library here in Beijing the tools would probably all disappear and never come back in the first couple of days. China is such a "every man for himself" kind of place, it gets to me sometimes...

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I used to live in West Seattle, really a great neighborhood --- now *I* miss it!!! Thanks for sharing this, Ihamo

I looked at houses there. There was one in particular I probably should have bought. It's a neat area.

"Hand-pick a zipper?" Oh dear, another domestic skill that passed me by...

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This is very cool! I am just trying to imagine the Phoenix public library offering classes such as these....just can't see it happening! Rob

Jane, please don't sneer at handpicking zippers. I consider myself to be highly trained and a skilled artisan who does Guild quality work...rather than a cute little domestic sterotype.
    Handpicking zippers, handworked button holes and atelier quality fine repairs paid a chunk of my tuituon and book bills back in the day and saved my @ss financially on a number of other occasions...plus they can still command a not inconsiderable income stream today should I want.

if that's not self reliance, what is?
    Last edited by chanterelle; 9-11-11 at 2:53pm.

Thread Information