Thread: How to spend my time at work

How to spend my time at work

I work in a small office and I have little work to do. In fact, my co-workers have little to do but they seem satisfied with being on the internet all day. Me, I need something to do. So I thought maybe there's something new I can be learning during all of my free time. Any suggestions?

How about learning (or improving the usage of) some software that you can use in your current job or software that might qualify you for a higher position? Or maybe you could organize a series of lunch-and-learn sessions where you rotate speaker duties, explaining a particular topic.

Can you give more specifics about the type of work or type of employer you have, and then people can make some suggestions that might be more appropriate to your specific circumstance?

poetry_writer
    What kind of job do you have where the employees have so much free time?

I'm a legal assistant in a small law firm. The attorneys are very busy but the staff not so much. It's very weird. I've only been here for about 2 years but I've been working for lawyers for 40 years and I've never been in an office where the staff has little to do. Quite honestly, they could eliminate at least 1 of us. I'm keeping an eye open for something better but in the meantime I need something to do!!! I've spoken with my attorneys about this several times.

Have you asked them whether there's anything you could learn or teach yourself that would make you more valuable to the firm? That's one way of avoiding being one of the "one that can be gotten rid of" down the road.....make yourself more valuable than your co-workers. Don't couch it as "I don't have anything to do," but as "I have some free time in my day and I'd like to use it to help the firm...how can I do that?"

You might learn a new technical skill, take an online workshop or a home-story course, learn Spanish if that's useful in your region....really, lots of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    How about learning (or improving the usage of) some software that you can use in your current job or software that might qualify you for a higher position? Or maybe you could organize a series of lunch-and-learn sessions where you rotate speaker duties, explaining a particular topic.
    I second herbgeek's ideas. Also consider helping out with the records archives in some way. It's a job few want, but this knowledge can make you invaluable as you'll be one of the few who can locate everything. And records managers can make very decent salaries.

I found an online site to learn a language. You earn points towards lessons by correcting the english lessons of non-english speakers. There are several of these out there. I don't know if your law firm needs any 2nd langauge skills, even minimal, but I consider spending 15 minutes a day at work with the language program (and more outside of work) a good use of my time since I work in a highly spanish speaking area and field.

I wish DH would do this. He spends his time on Lamebook of People of Walmart. If I had lots of free time at work, yeah, I'd be learning. Even if you take an evening class you could study at work. Any kind of work on organization as Lainey suggested or language study would be valuable.

Blogging!! That is what I have been doing. I just start one failed website after another. I am really determined to make this one stick. At least for now...

Thread Information