Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Snitch Central

well, since large numbers, in polls, show that they BELIEVE that fringe stuff, I'll have to respectfully disagree, LDAHL. Fringe nonsense it may be, but swallowed by a whole lot of voters, for sure.

Right in my own real life, I can name more than a few people who believe firmly that President Obama is a Muslim, was born in Kenya, hates America, is going to take away their guns, and in one case of an elderly friend, even that he is, with Obamacare, going to force her to take birth control pills. She is 68 years old. And looking for a way to flee the country if he is re-elected, which should show you how powerful that "fringe nonsense" is being taken.

Nope, I think both sides should have sites where the bulls*t being spread around can be refuted, facts ascertained, and some degree of actual education as to actual views and policies be done.

I have a fundamentalist Christian friend who believes that Romney is a plant from the Mormon Church that is going to destroy "real Christians".

The crap that is floating around during this election season is enough to make gods cry. Hurray for any way that the bullsh*t can be combatted. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    Nope, I think both sides should have sites where the bulls*t being spread around can be refuted, facts ascertained, and some degree of actual education as to actual views and policies be done.
    I think expecting objective truth from campaign websites makes as much sense as relying on your many misinformed acquaintances.

Right in my own real life, I can name more than a few people who believe firmly that President Obama is a Muslim, was born in Kenya, hates America
    How do you even parse a statement like "Obama hates America" to determine it's truth? Let's look at the "hates" part. That depends on knowing what is going on in Obama's mind. Exactly how are we supposed to know that? It's unknowable. And politicians are nothing if not good actors. Let's look at the "America" part. What is "America"? If it's the basic principles the country is supposed to hold then yes the Obama administration violates the Bill of Rights (and frankly these aren't just American laws, but widely believed principles - there's international human rights laws they violate). If it's the American people then if you think Obama's policies are bad for them you could argue "Obama hates America", although the hate parts still gets tripped up on motive, which again is unknowable. So it's not strictly accurate. You'd be better off arguing "Obama's policies are disasterous for the American people" or something. I could certainly think of many good and many not so good arguments for this.

Well we have this little thing called the intertubes that basically IS that. We have alternative journalists, we have bloggers, we have twitter tweeters. We also have plenty of partisan websites. We have National Review and The Nation, Reason and Mother Jones and Huffpo. So your patent application is denied, for that idea is already common knowledge! But it's not a centralized ONE STOP shop for talking points for every possible claim (although there is really no shortage of talking points out there). And frankly even the partisan websites aren't THAT partisan as what you are looking for. Because they are willing to ocassionally take their party to task on matters of principle.

The internet must be dangerous to the powers that be, they keep trying to destroy it (and spy on it):

Internet spying bill:
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...anel-isps-bill
    Department of Homeland security monitoring twitter/blogs:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/1816814/d...ct-to-congress

I'm not sure the Truth(c) Team is even for converting the Obama haters. Is that the real purpose? Maybe it's rather for futher brainwashing the Obama followers, those who work for the Truth Team, just making use of cognitive dissonance. Hard to break from a position once you argue for it so much (and sadly it is not even a position you are arguing for, but a particular leader). Maybe it's even for a larger goal, like giving our leaders in general some kind of legitimacy among the populus they really should not have (then the antidote is is something like OWS and REAL democracy ... and they know it). But isn't even arguing on the internet making some comittment to a stance? Well yes, to a degree, to a degree .... but not to as much of a degree as constantly having to spread Obama talking points as some kind of mission .... (if you are going to turn yourself into a salesperson you should at least ask to get PAID for it! ).
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 2-19-12 at 1:55pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    The crap that is floating around during this election season is enough to make gods cry.

Thread Information