Thread: 'Twelve by Twelve' by William Powers - Who posted? and Where?

'Twelve by Twelve' by William Powers - Who posted? and Where?

Hello. Based on someone's recommendation (possibly under this topic? but could be under several others), I am reading this book, and would love to discuss it further.
    Please let me know - Who posted about it, and in which thread? Thanks!

I posted it--I had just started reading it and commented about it in response to Anne Lee's thread Radical Simplicity: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...cal-Simplicity

Yes, it's a really good book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have this book on my Kindle and I really soaked it in. It is a jewel as far as I am concerned. Heck, if my life were to where I could actually do something along those lines, i would try it! Love to discuss.

Sherry

I also read Twelve by Twelve and absolutely loved it. I'd love to have the opportunity to live at a place like that for a year or so. The author clearly had a transformation in the way he looked at the world from his experience there.

One of the things I wished for in the book was a drawing of how the cabin was laid out. Found one here in an interview they did with the author.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-..._b_618379.html

For people that have read the book, what parts would you most enjoy experiencing for yourself? I think it would be a great learning experience to do in a permaculture/sustainable living community with a neighborhood of people living in 12x12s.

Amaranth, I would love to have the amount of space (the open acreage) in which the 12x12 was built and the amount of free time the author did, as well as the "self-determined" free time the Dr had. However, for me the book was more about the personal emotional and mental work being done in the space and luckily one can really do that no matter what their environment.

I also appreciated how simplicity breeds simplicity. As an example: The cabin didn't have in-door plumbing. So while there was a process of composting involved one would never have to worry about pipes freezing, drains clogging, toilets overflowing etc, saving worry, time and money.

Thread Information