Page 224 of 421 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

What kind of maples? We had two big silver maples in our front yard. They eventually rotted from the inside-out and ended up being a huge mess. I was not sorry to see them go.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    My rant today is about Social Security. Not only can adults just off the boat who never paid into the system collect, but so can children. I know of multiple families, US citizens in the cases I am aware of but it may not be limited to them, who collect $650 a month plus a state supplement per disabled child. They also automatically qualify for Medicaid as a result. These are children who attend regular schools but are "on the autism spectrum" or have "oppositional defiance disorder" or other not easily measurable conditions. I thought if you have kids you should be prepared to support them, and should anticipate they may have medical issues and be prepared to support them when they are sick. With welfare reform it seems the new way to support yourself off your kids is to apply and appeal and apply again until you get your kids declared disabled.

So people at the top and the bottom are living at the expense of the increasingly squeezed middle.

And adults who are legitimately disabled don't get benefits when they need them, but kids whose parents should be supporting them don't.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    What kind of maples? We had two big silver maples in our front yard. They eventually rotted from the inside-out and ended up being a huge mess. I was not sorry to see them go.
    Silver maples are fairly junky. Our trees in Hermann are not that, unfortunately.

Movie prices. Even with senior citizen ticket discounts, two of us at movies, sharing one drink and popcorn, was twenty nine dollars for a matinee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Movie prices. Even with senior citizen ticket discounts, two of us at movies, sharing one drink and popcorn, was twenty nine dollars for a matinee.
    Exactly! We were trying to think of things to do yesterday, and we thought about going to the movies, but a month ago we went to see 1917 and as you said it was $28-$29... we hadn't been to the movies in probably years, and while we did appreciate the new reclining seats, it didn't make up for the exorbitant price--and I even smuggled our own soda into the theater.

So we wound up going for a long walk, getting in our 10k steps on the boardwalk at Asbury Park, and then stopping along the way for a burger. It was MUCH nicer than sitting in the movies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have 2 older movie theaters that are 5 before 6pm. We never eat or drink there. We go to a lot of movies.

I went to a movie yesterday and the senior citizen price was seven dollars and some cents. I usually don’t eat or drink there, but I understand that the movie theater makes a A lot of their money at the concession stand and I always feel a little bad about that.

If I hit that same movie theater again in the next few days I think I’ll get a glass of wine if I go in the evening. I don’t need their fat laden snack food. This is the art house movie theater that has five screens and no new seats recline and that’s fine with me.

Geila
    As much as I love sunshine and blue skies, it just feels wrong to have 75 degree weather in winter with no signs of rain anywhere on the horizon. I was sweating when I got back from running errands. My pets are all outside sunning themselves and napping, oblivious to climate change and what it all means. Ahhh, the pleasure of blissful ignorance... I wish I had it too.

ETA: or rather, I wish I had MORE of it.

Automobile troubles. We have had nothing but bad luck with this latest car we purchased a year ago. I want to know where Dave Ramsey gets all those sound, reliable 5000 cars that we are urged to pay cash for. The last two used cars have been nightmares, even after being checked out.

My 10 year old Yaris, on the other hand that I bought new, is spookily reliable, knock on wood, don't let it hear me. But it lives indoors in the shed during winter, retaining its cute good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Automobile troubles. We have had nothing but bad luck with this latest car we purchased a year ago. I want to know where Dave Ramsey gets all those sound, reliable 5000 cars that we are urged to pay cash for. The last two used cars have been nightmares, even after being checked out.

My 10 year old Yaris, on the other hand that I bought new, is spookily reliable, knock on wood, don't let it hear me. But it lives indoors in the shed during winter, retaining its cute good looks.
    that is too bad about your used cars. We bought two used cars in a row, years ago, that were great.Sigh, ?I still think about them, they were the most luxurious cars we ever had.

Thread Information