Page 360 of 422 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370410 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 4219

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I can relate. But then I just remind myself that we did the best we could at the time. I think what a lot of people forget is that finances - no matter how well you plan - can change in an instant. Lost jobs, unexpected expenses, health issues, etc. Not everything can be anticipated and/or planned out.
    These people I see online were struggling long before Covid and the current inflation situation. The women are always trying to find something to do from home, but they have no education and no marketable skills to enable them to work remotely. They’ve never seem to have had much money. So already low income when they had the big families.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh sure, that is a truism, but it’s also a truism that having a sizable emergency fund will save you from many bumps in the road of life.

And you’ve seen the statistics about the number of Americans who have six month’s worth of emergency money. It is a tiny percentage.
    Really not to be argumentative, but there were times when there was nothing left to build an emergency fund with. As I said, we did the best we could and there were times when "the best we could" was keeping the family in food, clothing and housing - not adding to an emergency fund.

And, yes, we have an emergency fund now and I agree with the importance of having one - when able.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yes, I know too many who struggled even before the current situation, so if they had a few hundred in savings, that was a lot.

At one time I worked for a utility and a woman came in each month complaining she could not pay her bill. I commented … if you would quit having children that might help…She had 7 kids at the time. My boss was not happy with me BUT I so tired of the complaining when the remedy was obvious. It also irritates me when I am expected to pay the bills of these people. All of our utilities have a mandatory line for those who cannot pay. I thought this was a business? Why are those of us who pay our bills required to help the business?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    At one time I worked for a utility and a woman came in each month complaining she could not pay her bill. I commented … if you would quit having children that might help…She had 7 kids at the time. My boss was not happy with me BUT I so tired of the complaining when the remedy was obvious. It also irritates me when I am expected to pay the bills of these people. All of our utilities have a mandatory line for those who cannot pay. I thought this was a business? Why are those of us who pay our bills required to help the business?
    Utilities should not be run like profit-driven businesses. They are part of the infrastructure.

I’m sick of people thinking EVERYTHING is a conspiracy these days. Egg prices are so high. Conspiracy! When you mention avian flu and many chickens having to be killed, you’re told “oh that’s what they say.” When I mention avian flu is a big problem in the UK, too, more conspiracy crap. The endless bellyaching over self check out. Either don’t shop there or do pickup/delivery so you don’t have to deal with it. Corporate conspiracy to get rid of all the workers.

On and on.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Utilities should not be run like profit-driven businesses. They are part of the infrastructure.
    The small community I live in has it’s own utilities (telephone and electric). It is ALSO irritating that both also each charge me for the fire department in the community who, if they sold all the old/extraneous fire equipment would not need support. They have enough equipment to have a parade each year with no other vehicles. They had one of their vehicles on the cover of a magazine as one of the most expensive fire trucks ever ordered. Then, again, I am charged on my tax bill again for the fire department. Whammies all around.

Friend’s wake was today. My WI diving instructor (the canoe lady) was there, as well as plenty of diving buddies as well as diving friends (never dived with them). Stayed for 2.5 hours. Good chats were very healing. Found out more info that really makes it look like it was a medical issue.

Egg prices
    I read today that Cal-Maine, nation's largest egg producer, is having record profits.

Our news today announced the third library plus a civic center in the region have been closed for cleanup after contamination by people smoking meth in bathrooms. The first required $200,000+ to clean up the ventilation system in the bathrooms and beyond. I suspect then other libraries started testing. The news hasn't focused on the homeless, but it doesn't take much to connect people seeking warmth in public buildings.. It's a known problem without effective solutions so far. Also, traces of fentanyl closed the restrooms for a while in a major light rail center. I think the solution to homeless has been discussed already, so it's just a rant maybe.

It's a sad day when centers of learning where kids can go for educational purposes are no longer safe. Maybe the functional days of public libraries are in their sunset with the internet?

Thread Information