Page 162 of 173 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1723

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

  1. #1611
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,062
    I worry about dog poop bags. Seriously. The city provides biodegradable ones, but I get a plastic bag with my newspaper everyday and use those. Is this bad? Do the biodegradable ones really break down in landfill? Does it even matter?

    Having a dog is really not green. I'm vegetarian for environmental reasons, but feeding my dog meat! Oh well, she is so dear to me.

  2. #1612
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,714
    On the farm our dogs pooped in the fields and it became fertilizer. Couldn’t a person just bury their dogs poop in the backyard? Under a shovel full of dirt?

  3. #1613
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    On the farm our dogs pooped in the fields and it became fertilizer. Couldn’t a person just bury their dogs poop in the backyard? Under a shovel full of dirt?
    You underestimate the amount of poop and overestimate the amount of land that would require. I have two dogs and two cats producing a lot of poop. Your solution just is not sanitary, they are meat eaters making it even worse as “fertilizer.”

    If we had pet rabbits we would probably put their poo into the compost, they are not meat eaters.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-3-18 at 4:06pm.

  4. #1614
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I worry about dog poop bags. Seriously. The city provides biodegradable ones, but I get a plastic bag with my newspaper everyday and use those. Is this bad? Do the biodegradable ones really break down in landfill? Does it even matter?

    Having a dog is really not green. I'm vegetarian for environmental reasons, but feeding my dog meat! Oh well, she is so dear to me.
    When my dog was alive, I defended my use of plastic supermarket bags with the excuse that I "repurposed" them for my dog's poop. Clearly not the environmentally-friendly way to go--I could have bought the biodegradable ones, and used reusable shopping bags. But I was being cheap. The supermarket bags cost me nothing. I think trying to toe the sustainability line is a constant juggling act.

    Having a dog is really not green. I'm vegetarian for environmental reasons, but feeding my dog meat! Oh well, she is so dear to me.
    After I took my permaculture class I shifted in my thoughts on this. You can't change a dog's nature. He/she is a carnivore. I was vegetarian mainly because of environmental and humane reasons, but I really believe now that it's not what you do but how you do it. I think animals have their role in the web of life. We can't keep hawks from swooping down to kill chickens, nor should we. We can't keep wolves from taking down deer, nor should we.

    I still am mostly vegetarian because I believe that if I can't do the dirty work of killing an animal for my palate, I shouldn't expect others to. But I do eat local animals that are raised humanely.

    I do not agree with people who feed dogs vegetarian diets. Let dogs be dogs, and don't feel guilty about it. We can only do what we can to promote a humane, compassionate world, but nature is not always compassionate.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #1615
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,468
    I dont want to hear about anyone feeding their dog vegetarian diet, but especially dont want to hear about vegetarian cats.

    Unless the science has changed in a big way recently, I know that cats need a higher percentage of meats than do dogs. Does anyone remember the idiot poster here on this board years ago who was going to feed her kitten a vegetarian diet? She was quite centered on that idea and was not going to change, facts be damned. I think our Canadian friend Sylvan was on board with that.

    Sometimes people are too stupid to live.

    If one doesnt wish to participate in animal slaughter by feeding pets meat, do not get a pet that needs meat.

    Bunnies are nice.

  6. #1616
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont want to hear about anyone feeding their dog vegetarian diet, but especially dont want to hear about vegetarian cats.

    Unless the science has changed in a big way recently, I know that cats need a higher percentage of meats than do dogs. Does anyone remember the idiot poster here on this board years ago who was going to feed her kitten a vegetarian diet? She was quite centered on that idea and was not going to change, facts be damned. I think our Canadian friend Sylvan was on board with that.

    Sometimes people are too stupid to live.

    If one doesnt wish to participate in animal slaughter by feeding pets meat, do not get a pet that needs meat.

    Bunnies are nice.
    I remember that poster; I think I told her to get a goldfish.

    Demonstrate compassion by sentencing your companion animal to a miserable, compromised life, and likely an early death; good call. Good God.

  7. #1617
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,181
    I feed my cat cheap crap cat food that i’m Pretty sure is mostly grains. He likes it. He also gets “table scraps” (dh meat trimmings that can’t go in the compost) and all the mice he can catch. Since my barn is still full of mice, and he brings me one to admire almost every morning, maybe I should cut back on the table scraps.

  8. #1618
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,940
    Cats need meat, but I fed one of my dogs a special low allergen dog food that happened to be vegetarian. He died of old age. The other dog we had ate meat dog food and died at 4 years.
    Last edited by Yppej; 5-3-18 at 8:18pm.

  9. #1619
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,468
    I am peeved because the bottle of wine
    I am drinking from the Columbia
    Valley tastes like crap.

    Maybe that is because I have a cold. Usually I like Columbia Valley wines.

  10. #1620
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am peeved because the bottle of wine
    I am drinking from the Columbia
    Valley tastes like crap.

    Maybe that is because I have a cold. Usually I like Columbia Valley wines.
    I hope you feel better. That would piss me off too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •