Page 149 of 421 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

I'm not sure if I've already expressed this peeve or not, but today it's truly peeving me again. It seems more and more I'm hearing people (mostly the young-uns, but also OPB [local public radio affiliate] interview-types) beginning each and every sentence with "So..." when did this start, and how and why? It's another crutch like "like" or "um." Annoys me. Is it just a Pac NW thing or is it everywhere?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I'm not sure if I've already expressed this peeve or not, but today it's truly peeving me again. It seems more and more I'm hearing people (mostly the young-uns, but also OPB [local public radio affiliate] interview-types) beginning each and every sentence with "So..." when did this start, and how and why? It's another crutch like "like" or "um." Annoys me. Is it just a Pac NW thing or is it everywhere?
    It's everywhere, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Seems to be it started in the eighty's with the whole valley girl thing.
    So there, LOL.

Here it is, another rant about my hobby group. This is a rant, no need to respond, it is just a rant. And it is a first world problem, ha ha.

My plant society is closing down, we have properties that I need to dispose of responsibly. Included in that stuff are 12 tubs of equipment used in shows. The group who is giving next year's national show said they wanted our extra equipment. That is fine they are in a neighboring state. We are very fortunate that DH drives to that state a few times a year AND he has a truck. Winner! The key person to accept the stuff lives only 40 minutes out of his way.

Only guess what, she will not take the stuff, she does not have room for 12 tubs of equipment. So she wants to send him off to a storage place that is three hours from where she lives. Once again, we are incredibly fortunate because that happens to be the direction that he will turn to and this new place is only about 40 minutes off his route. Winner!

but--the guy who is in charge of the storage wont return phone calls and he will not return emails. DH is in that other state driving around with all of this plant society equipment in his truck.

This is a prime example of why these volunteer organizations that disrespect the time of their volunteers need to die.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-21-17 at 1:30pm.

Darn, I would be so tempted to go to the"volunteer organization designated dump."

P.s. Dont tell Chicken Lady, but I have plans to burn 2-4 tubs of solid oak sign holders and bases. Oak is great firewood.No one uses these things anymore, they weigh a ton. Everyone uses table tent signage, easy to transport.when 80% of people in your garden club or plant society are unable to bend and lift 40 lbs, it is timeto become realistic about your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Darn, I would be so tempted to go to the"volunteer organization designated dump."
    There is a positive to everything. My garden club ladies want some of this equipment, and I aim to give it to them.

Since the sister plant society is crapping out, anything that comes back here to St. Louis will be disbursed to gardening people but not nevessarily to those who grow our plant.

My fellow club officer and the only person on our board who is a capable person, says she suspected this debacle could happen, and she is fully supportive of giving equipment to other garden clubs.

Speaking of annoying elocutions, there's another one I've heard--mainly from younger people--where words are extended and emphasized thus: "Anduh nowww itsuh time forrr anotheruh song.." It's hard to characterize, but you'd know it if you heard it. It's even showing up in commercials, much to my dismay.

Starting stand-alone thoughts with "so" is common now and becoming more so, along with "different to," which I first thought was a regionalism, and "how" for "the way." Language changes, not always for the better.

Yppej
    "At the end of the day." I hear at least once an hour when watching news.

How the heck are you supposed to dress yourself when your waist/hip area is a size 12 but your butt and thighs are more like a size 6? I just decided to see what I look like from behind while wearing what I though was a decent-looking and comfortable pair of cut-off shorts...ugh....skinny stick legs floating around inside a column of denim and a saggy seat area, yet tight around my waistband.

I honestly have no idea how to dress my aging, menopausal figure...dang, and I used to look pretty hot!

Thread Information