Page 169 of 422 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Re: dogs and rescues (interested to hear iris lilies' perspective on this)

Our rescue dog passed away a couple of weeks ago and we've been trying to rehome stuff that's still usable. Chuck & Don's (regional pet store chain) took back the bag of dog food we had just opened; they donate opened bags to local shelters. Some items, like Kongs, were too used to pass on, I think, and the opened bags of treats were either composted or tossed. But we have a toy or two, her slow-down bowl, her leash and harness, some coats, blankets, and heartworm meds which could be used by other dogs at the rescue (all smaller breeds) so I emailed the rescue from which we got Dog -- both the foster and the person ostensibly in charge of the operation.

We heard from the foster right away. She's moved out of state so she's no longer associated with this rescue. We have yet to hear from the person in charge. It's been almost a week. Not even a quick one-line "Gee I'm really swamped but yes, we're interested." or "Sorry, we can't take used items." This reminded me that we tried one other time to donate unused toys and clothing and heard ... crickets. Same person. I thought that was a one-timer but now I'm not so sure.

I understand most (all?) rescues run on a shoestring. I realize everyone associated with them has a source of income that demands their attention on a regular basis so I didn't even expect to hear from the foster so quickly. I also know that a lot of shelters/rescues are started by people who are 100% heart and 0% business. But is this de rigeur for contacting clients who are offering usable free stuff? Nevermind transacting the business; even just acknowledging clients? I'm thinking of waiting till Monday and then offering these items to another shelter/rescue. Reasonable?
    You can’t generalize about rescue organizations from contact or lack of contact from just one of them.

Drop them off at a shelter.

We get a fair amount of “stuff“ from people, and it’s good, and we generally make use of it. We are very aware of the public relations aspect of accepting donations no matter what the donations are. We take them with a smile and a “thankyou” and an offer of a tax letter.

When our rescue director was hit by a car,I stepped in to do some of the grunt work. One of the first things DH and I had to do was to go to someone’s house who was moving. They had saved tons and tons of stuff for what they thought would be useful for dog rescue such as bedsheets, blankets, T-shirts, as well as items made for dogs. We filled the entire SUV. That was a bit much and it took me a week to sort through it, some of it went in the trash.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-30-18 at 10:09am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You can’t generalize about rescue organizations from contact or lack of contact from just one of them.
    Which is exactly why I posted here, asking. Seems this one is zero percent business (still haven't heard a word). It's not the only one I know of like that, unfortunately.

Drop them off at a shelter.
    Done.

I suppose I'll unsubscribe from this rescue's fundraising emails, too. This business model doesn't seem sustainable.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Speaking of rescue groups and rants.

My hometown has competing rescue groups that are in competition as well as keen on harassing people without finding out the whole story. Both groups have been known to "rescue" dogs right out of people's yards. Apparently all dogs need "rescued" now.
    I've got a friend that does home daycare. She puts the dog in the outdoor kennel during daycare hours. The dog got sick, very sick. But due to daycare having the run of her entire smaller home she put the dog in the kennel where it died...mid-morning on a hot day half in/out of the dog house. She couldn't get anyone by phone to come hide the dog and therefore couldn't go out and take care of it herself because of the daycare kids. The rescue groups are now doing drive-by "Dog killer" screams, harassing her and her son (on kidney transplant list and he isn't doing well). They are still doing the drive-bys even though it was found out that someone poisoned her dog (autopsy) (disgruntled neighbor).

And what is with how broad the term "rescue" is now anyway? There used to be a wider range of terms: stray as in we picked up a stray on the side of the road is now "I rescued this rescue dog." A dog didn't fit a family and was given to another is now "I rescued this rescue dog." Someone's dog got PG by accident and is giving away pups is now "This is a rescue pup, I rescued."
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Oh honey, dont get me started on overuse and abuse of the term “rescue.”

You are right, rescue is not always rescue.

i have many many stories about it. But who cares about my stories, most can imagination ne misuse of the concept and the term.

You are right, rescue is not always rescue.

i have many many stories about it. But who cares.
    Well today I care. Old TomDog had another stroke or something in the night. He can't walk. We're putting him down today.
    TomDog was dumped on the farm with siblings. Coyotes got all but him and one other pup before dad found them. Dad sent TomDog home with us when the boys were 4 and 5. Boys are 21 and 22 now. We've never called him a rescue he just had a story about how he ended up with us for life.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Well today I care. Old TomDog had another stroke or something in the night. He can't walk. We're putting him down today.
    TomDog was dumped on the farm with siblings. Coyotes got all but him and one other pup before dad found them. Dad sent TomDog home with us when the boys were 4 and 5. Boys are 21 and 22 now. We've never called him a rescue he just had a story about how he ended up with us for life.
    Oh Tomdog! He is so lucky yo have ended up with you! bless his doggie heart.

Wow what a great life you gave Tomboy. You did rescue him or he would have been a coyote cookie. If you’r friends dog was poisoned hardly her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    coyote cookie.
    Oh my gosh, I like that term! Ha!

So sorry for your loss, Float, and what a great long life Tomdog had!
    Last edited by Tybee; 7-30-18 at 2:24pm.

I say if (somewhat rational) people want to characterize themselves as rescuers, let 'em, if it helps them feel good about themselves and the animals they "rescue," and thus are encouraged to keep up the good work of helping animals.

There are some who do go above and beyond--like the TNR groups Project Bay Cats and especially Langley BC's Tiny Kittens, whose volunteers go out rain, shine, snow, or wind to provide food, medical care, socialization, and spay and neuter services to feral cats. They really do rescue.

http://www.tinykittens.com/cases/mason

Thread Information