Page 244 of 422 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That is being desperate for a reason to pick on trees, IL, yet again. Your brother enjoyed all the fresh air and shade and beauty that the tree has provided over the years. Have you no appreciation for those benefits. I am sorry that the storm picked on your brother's house and the tree. Blame the storm not the tree.
    agreed. Misdirected anger, IL! I'm sure the tree is not too happy about it, either.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    agreed. Misdirected anger, IL! I'm sure the tree is not too happy about it, either.
    Well, I thought I would try anyway. I guess no one’s biting.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, I thought I would try anyway. I guess no one’s biting.
    I read it the way you wrote it, you plantist.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

IL hates trees almost as much as Rob hates cops.

IL's a Treemugger.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I'd be watching where I park my car, IL. You can run but you can't hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    He walked into the living room and tripped on a dog bed. Tried to catch himself and fell into the buffet. He must have twisted it just right. He has surgery today.
    Terry, how is your dh? How did the surgery go? I hope all went well and that he heals quickly!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'd be watching where I park my car, IL. You can run but you can't hide.
    Funny you should mention this. I park under the three trees in front of our house, street trees in the parlance of the city, because they will not blow down.

We planted all of them decades ago and now I’m sorry they are there. Two are junkie fast growing maples, and one Bradford pear. All of them are species known to blow down in storms.

But they never blow down in a storm. They mock me. They stand there year after year through storms that take down all the trees, but not these. Just last night two trees went down a block away on a parallel street. storm. But these trees if front of my house will not die.

One of them looks very bad and it loses limbs, and the city came by a couple years ago to Red-X it to take out. But they have not been back for take down,

It isn't just your own trees. Street over, a tree that is technically on both city and the homeowner property (50+ years old), was taken down by a storm a couple months ago, and smashed the neighbor's, across the street, car.
    The car probably saved the house from being damaged though.

After a bad ice storm in my NJ neighborhood, several neighbors just got rid of all their trees. I understand that tree limbs can land on houses or cars, but I prefer to gamble on the chance that my tree will weather the winds.

I had an arborist come to my VT home to advise me as to the health of an old silver maple that provides a ton of shade and breeze and wildlife habitat and a swing for my grandchildren. He said it's fine, but he could thin the canopy a little to reduce the drag during high winds. I'd do that but beyond that, there is NO WAY IN HELL ANYONE IS GOING TO TOUCH MY MAPLE!. I've had neighborhood parties relocate to my house because of the shade. I adore this tree. I just don't get tree-shaming--even if it is a silver maple. Hey, when choosing dogs, I've always gone with mutts, too.

In the words of my NJ. homie, Joyce Kilmer:

trees.jpg

Thread Information