Page 219 of 219 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219
Results 2,181 to 2,183 of 2183

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    IL, you are generally right about the specificity of benefits, but there are individuals and stores that participate in EBT fraud. In my area the rate is $1.00 in EBT for 50 cents in cash. Welfare phones are also resold.
    My brother in law has done a nice little side line business in buying and selling EBT cards over the past dozen or so years. He sold his first couple of free phones for cash and then was surprised to find he couldn't get another after "losing" more than one in a several week period. Frankly, it surprised me too, the checks and balances on that system were better than I expected.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

I am more and more of the opinion we should scrap all our social welfare programs and go with UBI. There are people so beaten down by life they can't deal with the paperwork and bureaucracy to get benefits they deserve, including mentally ill people living on the streets, and undeserving people who through persistence or a good lawyer get benefits they don't deserve. UBI for all citizens would avoid these problems, though I think create others, like addicts having more money to OD with.
    I tend to agree with you. When I read about all the limitations of what things like SNAP benefits can be spent on, etc, I just think to myself, "surely these people are in the best position to know what they need to be spending money on. Selling one's SNAP benefit at $.50 on the dollar because one perceives some other need to be more important than food is probably only done because some other need really is more urgent than food. The only winner in that situation is the person that bought that SNAP benefit at a sharp discount. And it also infantalizes the person receiving benefits from the government program by assuming that they are too stupid to be able to make rational decisions on their own behalf.

This is the second day on a row I have tried to find out what an eye appointment would cost me. Neither the providers nor my insurance company can tell me. They are still working on it. My insurer outsourced customer service to another insurer but did not provide them with rate information so even though I have the CPT billing codes I cannot get the information I want which I am entitled to by state law.

Thread Information