Page 419 of 422 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4219

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So my brother in hospice died on Tuesday. Blood-wise, he was actually a cousin. His mother died in childbirth and his father died when he was six from gall-bladder surgery complications (or at least that's what we've been told). Some have said he never forgave my brother for taking his wife away from him. So my grandfather (who was a product of the patriarchal, blue-blooded New England generation) determined that Mike should live in a home that was a practicing-Catholic home. So that eliminated my uncle, who had become Methodist when he married his Protestant wife. Unfortunately his was exactly the family Mike would have done well with. Unfortunately, our "Catholic-qualified" family was not. My mother was informed by my grandfather that she would be taking Mike exactly when she had just had a stillborn child. Maybe he ignorantly thought Mike would be a good consolation prize. He never considered how resentful my mother would be, nor how his son's (my father's) alcoholic behavior would affect Mike.

Because Mike felt utterly rejected by both adoptive parents, he got out of our home as soon as he could--first by entering a high school seminary program (which didn't work out) and then by joining the Navy (which did). Then he went to college--Catholic University, met my SIL at a DC bar. Being 5 years younger, I had had relatively few meaningful interactions with Mike in my childhood, but I caught up when I had met DH and we all had great time together over the years--not all the time, but with fairly frequent visits in different states.

Mike was funny, bright, and completely family-oriented. But even when he was funny, when you looked into his eyes, there was so much depth there--a whole story of the comedy that emerges from tragedy. Sometimes I felt guilty being his sister, because I was the biologic first-born, the "prize." He didn't deserve the parents he got--MY parents. When we were all out in Minnesota last fall, I told my brothers that we all had the same but different parents. Mike and my 2nd brother have no love lost for my father, who treated them terribly. My 3rd brother and I are sympathetic and we feel, if not any love gained, the pain of love lost.

I hope I can stay connected with my sister-in-law who "saved" Mike. She is such a wonderful person on many levels. My heart hurts for her.
    When I was pregnant with our first, we got a call saying the sister in law was pregnant and that WE would have to take the child because she was a raging alcoholic and couldn't care for it. Of course, we would have but I can't imagine having our newborn and another newborn with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and probably many delays. She ended up losing the pregnancy not too long after that phone call which was probably best for all involved unfortunately.

Sorry for your loss, Catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    When I was pregnant with our first, we got a call saying the sister in law was pregnant and that WE would have to take the child because she was a raging alcoholic and couldn't care for it. Of course, we would have but I can't imagine having our newborn and another newborn with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and probably many delays. She ended up losing the pregnancy not too long after that phone call which was probably best for all involved unfortunately. .
    I really don’t get the mindset of people who expect to foist children on people who may not want them or be equipped to care for them, just because they’re blood relatives. A friend, who was estranged from her very toxic family, told me that she had a severely disabled brother. Parents cared at home for years even past when he should have been moved to a facility that could give him the care he needed, as parents really struggled with it as they got older. Her mother died and dad was left at home with disabled son. Friend told me she got a call from her father that he expected her to give up her job and move her husband and teenage son back to her hometown to care for her brother full time. She said “hell, no” and her father got very verbally abusive. She said that was the last time she heard from him.

My husband has type 2 diabetes. He has been using Trulicity for a few years. Now the pharmacy can't get any because so many people are now using it for weight loss. Not only our pharmacy but no pharmacy can get some. No Ozempic or Monjouro either. Like anything that treats type 2 diabetes is out of stock. I am worried about what will happen if his doctor can't come up with a solution. He is due for his next injection on Thursday and has been trying to get more for weeks.

My husband has type 2 diabetes. He has been using Trulicity for a few years. Now the pharmacy can't get any because so many people are now using it for weight loss. Not only our pharmacy but no pharmacy can get some. No Ozempic or Monjouro either. Like anything that treats type 2 diabetes is out of stock. I am worried about what will happen if his doctor can't come up with a solution. He is due for his next injection on Thursday and has been trying to get more for weeks.
    I heard about this problem. I am sorry!
    I am not a serious person.

That is terrible.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Same issue with my diabetic neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Same issue with my diabetic neighbor.
    Here's the thing, though. Trulicity, Mounjaro and Ozempic are all indicated for patients with T2D. If a doctor is prescribing it for weight-loss only, that is off-label prescribing. So, maybe more diabetic patients are switching from their diabetes medications in different classes to the "latest and greatest" diabetes products.

I think Wegovy is the only drug specifically indicated for weight loss (and it is the exact same molecule as Ozempic).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A lot of time there is overlap, with people with pre-diabetes being told to lose weight, but they have very borderline A1C's and can't lose weight without the medication, so they are prescribed these in order to lose the weight and not slide into full diabetes. That is how my doctor explained it to me, anyway.

Good news! Husband's doctor managed to get ahold of some Mounjaro for him. Going to pick up today at the pharmacy.

Today is my double nickel birthday! But got a bad present when I went out to my car. Low tire warning. By the time I was able to stop to put air in it, it was pretty low and didn’t take any air. I have a donut and I’m waiting for Triple A. GRRRR

Thread Information