Page 237 of 421 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Eco warriors. So tiresome.

So I noticed the absence of the carpenter bee colony at our community garden. We have a nice wooden pergola there that’s been there for 22 years and the bees have burrowed into it and they hang out there. I find them extremely entertaining. They try to intimidate the hu-mans. Hilarious!

DH casually mentioned that the community garden management team had caused their holes to be filled up and that’s why they left. When the hu-mans sat with their drinks under the pergola, sawdust fell into their drinks. Can’t have that! And the weak and lily livered among them were scared of the bees.

Meanwhile, the eco warriors are floating around yakking about Asclepius for “ the pollinators” I.e. Monarch butterflies. Why don’t I plant these yak yak yak natives? ( um, because I want to plant lilies ‘n iris! Do ya think they are pollenless !) What about blah blah blah the bees love it they say.

Yet they drove away the long established colony of pollinators at our community garden. Doh.

People can be very annoying.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-26-20 at 11:08am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Eco warriors. So tiresome.

So I noticed the absence of the carpenter bee colony at our community garden. We have a nice wooden pergola there that’s been there for 22 years and the bees have burrowed into it and they hang out there. I find them extremely entertaining. They try to intimidate the hu-mans. Hilarious!

DH casually mentioned that the community garden management team had caused their holes to be filled up and that’s why they left. When the hu-mans sat with their drinks under the pergola, sawdust fell into their drinks. Can’t have that! And the weak and lily livered among them were scared of the bees.

Meanwhile, the eco warriors are floating around yakking about Asclepius for “ the pollinators” I.e. Monarch butterflies. Why don’t I plant these yak yak yak natives? ( um, because I want to plant lilies ‘n iris! Do ya think they are pollenless !) What about blah blah blah the bees love it they say.

Yet they drove away the long established colonies of pollinators at our community garden. Doh.

People can be very annoying.
    Hey, I got MY asiepius going. What's wrong with YOU, IL?? .

That is truly a bummer about the bees and the pergola. I just read this awesome article yesterday in the NYT (if you can read it w/o a paywall) and they said if you want to attract birds, don't take down dead trees beyond what you must for safety. Pretty much for the same reasons you mention--those little holes and crannies provide places for birds to nest and pick out goodies. So now I'm thinking if I DO have to remove the ash tree in the front lawn of my NJ home, maybe I'll just cut it down to 10-15 feet. Drive my neighbors crazy.

I did actually plant a "pollinator garden" just yesterday!!! I took out the sod myself and planted milkweed, echinacea (native ruby star), New England aster, lavender and my favorite balloon flowers.

But I have to agree with you that your eco-warrior buddies sound VERY annoying!

ETA: I have a somewhat similar rant. DH got a power washer to wash down the house in preparation for painting, and he said he was going to power wash our little pergola. The pergola has a vintage bench underneath that had paint wearing off. Very wabi-sabi. So DH finishes the power washing and says, "hey! Look how good the bench looks!" And I wanted to cry. Stripped down to shriveling bare wood--all the rustic charm vanished with a swoosh of the power wand. I couldn't complain because he thought he did good. But I thought of all those years of wear--all that patina gone.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh I know about keeping dead plants around, there’s a whole movement in St. Louis about not cleaning up your garden and the winter because it provides habitat for critters. My Eco warrior friend who’s all about pollinators and Asclepius and no Roundup practically fainted in horror at the thought of all those weed seeds spreading throughout a garden in the No,Cleanup mode.

I always have a giggle when the philosophies clash within echo warrior world. I am mean that way!

That is too bad about your garden bench! At this very moment I am judging a virtual flower show where we have 32 decorated garden benches to evaluate. When I’m done with it later today I’ll post a couple of them. One of them is a beautiful old lichen covered garden seat, really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

One of them is a beautiful old lichen covered garden seat, really cool!
    Don't say that! Mine had lichen on it!!! Here are pictures of the before and after. (I don't know how to delete the thumbnail bar)

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_1492.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Don't say that! Mine had lichen on it!!! Here are pictures of the before and after. (I don't know how to delete the thumbnail bar)

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_1492.jpg
    awwww, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_1492.jpg
    what a beautiful pictures--love the tomatoes.

The uber-annoying signs at the local health food emporium telling us where to stand, and the best, "Do not advance until the cashier calls you."
    I get it, but I don't want to shop there anymore--none of the other groceries have these obnoxious signs and I have seen zero obnoxious behavior from customers. Everyone is wearing masks and keeping +6 feet away.

Their prices are inflated, too.

Catherine, too bad about the bench. Ugh!

Yppej
    Drought. The last one killed some plants and I finally filled in the last of the gaps this year and here comes another drought.

We have our outside plants on irrigation. My flower pots I water by hand daily.

Thread Information