Page 24 of 421 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

I think lawns are among the biggest, stupidest wastes of time in our society, so I empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    For God's sake, can't we have silent, electric powered mowers? If they can make cars that can back over you with barely a whisper, why not mowers?
    I have an electric mower and while it's not as loud as a gas-powered mower, it's not silent. It's that big blade scything through the air; it sounds like an industrial fan. I'm not sure there's much that could be done about that unless maybe they try that noise-cancelling technology (the first lawnmower with an external speaker!).

I had a reel mower (the kind that revolves like a barrel rolling) which I enjoyed using, but it didn't work well on tough grass or high grass and it was not making my life simpler, so I went electric.

In fact, let's just do away with lawns entirely.
    Now there is the solution! In my mom's backyard, we replaced the grass with clover. It covers well, doesn't grow very high, needs little maintenance, and withstands "dog visits". I'm thinking seriously of doing something like that in my backyard.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yeah, that kind of situation definitely activates my inner Ted Nugent--"Let's watch as normally mild-mannered JaneV2.0 finally goes around the bend and starts lobbing grenades toward the source of the noise." For God's sake, can't we have silent, electric powered mowers? If they can make cars that can back over you with barely a whisper, why not mowers? Oh, for the day.

In fact, let's just do away with lawns entirely. Think of the resources we could save.
    Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    I think lawns are among the biggest, stupidest wastes of time in our society, so I empathize.
    Thank you both for the empathy. I needed it today. Sunday, and some fool mowed for two hours, starting at 12:30 PM - again, just as I was about to sit down to lunch. Even the non-religious must enjoy a peaceful, quiet Sunday afternoon, don't they? I can't even figure out what the lunatic was mowing since our lots are 52' x 104' with some end lots just a smidgeon larger. My yard guy does mine in fifteen minutes or less.

I most definitely agree that lawns are a senseless waste of resources. I haven't got mine all dug up and planted with vegetables yet, but I'm working on it. Let them eat grass!!!

There are some impressive ground covers out there that require much less maintenance than grass: http://www.stepables.com/3/Match_The...t_Started.html

A friend of mine had no lawn at all on her small city lot; it was completely planted in vegetables, flowers, and herbs.

oh this sucks. Our current foster rescue dog went after me this morning, biting and climbing me. This means: doggie heaven for him. We can't place a dog that attacks humans.

Sad, I.L. So sorry to hear that. Hope you're okay?

A friend of mine had no lawn at all on her small city lot; it was completely planted in vegetables, flowers, and herbs.
    Am working on that for our front lot, taking my cue from Food Not Lawns by Heather Flores. Still requires some water, but with proper mulching and cultivating, it's still a heck of a lot less than bluegrass.

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    Sad, I.L. So sorry to hear that. Hope you're okay?
    I AM ok, miraculously and have no broken skin from his bites.. This dog had no canine teeth, having worn them down at 3 years old (an indicator that something is up with him.) Also, he is a small bulldog at 39 lbs so easier to control than a typical male of this breed.

He had been exhibiting increasingly dominant/aggressive behavior in the two weeks we had him and I already had a big bruise from where he had grabbed me on the arm last week in a dominant tussle.

I am grateful for the clarity in this morning's event. He was very clearly showing aggression to me, he kept coming at me, and there was no context that made it OK or understandable. The situations that are less clear are agonizing to deal with.

update:
    He died an hour ago. RIP Porkchop.

IL I am sorry about Porkchop! That is sad, but it sounds like the situation was pretty clear.

My peeve today is American attitudes about recovery from childbirth. It would have been really nice to have Zach home just for this first week of post-partum recovery. He talked to his teacher at school and, although this week is mostly just listening to the presentations other people are giving, there will be a quiz on those presentations (or no one would attend them) and the teacher will not make any accomodations for Zach and he can't miss class at all this week. He is running himself completely into the ground trying to manage school and take care of me and the kids. Luckily we have friends who are pulling together to help out, but it does make me kind of mad. I went through 34 hours of labor 4 days ago, by the end of which I had been without sleep for over 48 hours. I think its assinine that I can't have my own husband home for one week. One week. That's all I'm asking.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

After weeding the back garden, I took my muddy shoes off and tripped over the sliding glass door jamb while carrying a bunch of garden tools. I saw stars and let loose a long string of choice swear words. I think I broke my middle toe of the left foot.
    I hope I can get on the shoes I'm wearing for my interview this morning and not hobble too badly!

Thread Information