Page 296 of 421 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346396 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes, I still get text messages. Don't click on links in them.
    As a semi-intelligent semi-computergeek I choose not to run the risk of receiving a text message containing auto-execute code that does it's dirty work without you clicking on anything. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    How can you say you hate something you've never used/aren't familiar with? What is it about smart phones that you are so determined to not want?
    I’m not George but I can answer for me:

I hate my cell phone because the screen is tiny and I can’t do any real work on it. Currently I use it for emergency outgoing calls and GPS access when I’m traveling. I will sometimes give people my cell phone number but I tell them don’t expect to reach me on it because I don’t carry it and I don’t answer it.

Oddly, I get audio calls on my iPad devices. I’ve no longer try to figure out why that works sometimes.

I hate portable phones in general because they always have to be plugged in. Seems like every time I reach for it when I’m at home it’s out of juice. I did recently fix that though by having a multi port charger where all of my devices sit on the counter charging up.

When we move I will have to get rid of landline though and use a cell phone. But I will not use it for anything other than calls. Well, I do like texting so maybe I’ll use it for that.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-23-21 at 2:53pm.

How can you say you hate something you've never used/aren't familiar with? What is it about smart phones that you are so determined to not want?
    Haven't used???? Not familiar with????

I spent the last 12 years of my working career in a warehouse that received used cell phones, repaired them, tested them, and sent them back out to customers. I've probably handled, tested, explored, and discussed more smartphones with more knowledgeable people than you could ever imagine. Even though I don't own one and don't trust them and I hate the idea that I might be forced to own one, I am still very well informed about them.

If smartphones ever become truly secure against malware and other malicious activities, which they won't, I would be willing to use one of them just like I use my computer, but until then I see absolutely no reason to use a risky device that I don't need and don't want, especially if it comes with a high price tag or a high per-minute usage fee.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    As a semi-intelligent semi-computergeek I choose not to run the risk of receiving a text message containing auto-execute code that does it's dirty work without you clicking on anything. YMMV
    Granted I'm not fully up-to-speed on current malware risks but I'm not familiar with any auto-execute code embedded in text messages that aren't immediately identified and patched in up-to-date os's. I have read about a 'flubot' malware attack through text messages which requires the victim to follow a link and install a malicious app in hopes of correcting a fake problem or receive some sort of fake benefit mentioned in the original text message. I believe that particular attack is limited to Android phones on which the user has disabled specific security settings which I'm sure a 'semi-intelligent semi-computergeek' would not do even if he were foolish enough to follow a link sent by persons unknown.

As for smart phones, I love them. Just this morning as I sat in a hospital waiting room while my wife had covid testing, blood draw and chest x-ray prior to an upcoming surgery I was able to read up-to-the-minute news reports, enjoy a video call with my grandson, monitor real time stock and market updates and check in to the admin side of this site to clear out the half dozen or so spammers which I find during my twice per day check-in attempting to make accounts for nefarious purposes.

To each their own I guess but personally I find smart phones to be perhaps the greatest and most useful consumer invention of the 21st century. I think their utilitarian benefits clearly outweigh any statistically improbable dangers currently outstanding.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I love my smartphone. Actually if I wasn’t still doing some consulting and needing a computer for reports I wouldn’t even need a computer. I have books and the newspaper on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Granted I'm not fully up-to-speed on current malware risks but I'm not familiar with any auto-execute code embedded in text messages that aren't immediately identified and patched in up-to-date os's.
    Are you familiar with Pegasus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) Were you concerned about it 3 months ago before it became big news.

Are you aware that Apple recently released security updates for its devices after researchers identified a so-called "zero-click" exploit affecting its iMessage messaging service? https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/0...egasus-spyware

By the time people like you and I hear about a new virus or malware exploit that is actually being used, the bad guys have often been using it undetected for weeks, months, or even years. Software and computer operating systems are so complex now and involve so many people in their creation that finding all the little goofs and unintentional backdoors is almost impossible until someone notices an intrusion and is savvy enough to figure out how it was done.

So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be. And I see no reason to use a smartphone if all I need is text messages and plain old voice phone calls. But like you said, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Are you familiar with Pegasus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware) Were you concerned about it 3 months ago before it became big news.

Are you aware that Apple recently released security updates for its devices after researchers identified a so-called "zero-click" exploit affecting its iMessage messaging service? https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/0...egasus-spyware

By the time people like you and I hear about a new virus or malware exploit that is actually being used, the bad guys have often been using it undetected for weeks, months, or even years. Software and computer operating systems are so complex now and involve so many people in their creation that finding all the little goofs and unintentional backdoors is almost impossible until someone notices an intrusion and is savvy enough to figure out how it was done.

So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be. And I see no reason to use a smartphone if all I need is text messages and plain old voice phone calls. But like you said, to each his own.
    Yes, I remember Pegasus from several years ago, but I've never concerned myself with it since it's used by foreign governments (and perhaps our own) for their own nefarious purposes against people they've identified as threats and I'm not paranoid enough to believe I'd be a target. No one can hide from the NSA. But if you're concerned about bad actors finding your banking details or private correspondence I'd be more concerned with your local ISP or the folks at Amazon or Facebook mining your transaction histories. But maybe that's just me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So I have no doubt that zero-click exploits via text message either are out there already or will be.
    So what protects a "dumb" phone from such exploits, as they have text messaging as well?

So what protects a "dumb" phone from such exploits, as they have text messaging as well?
    A dumb phone isn't a computer. So no way for it to run a computer program. So the only data a dumb phone can send and receive is text.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’]

Oddly, I get audio calls on my iPad devices. I’ve no longer try to figure out why that works sometimes.

Is the phone an iPhone? If both the iPhone and iPad are logged into the same apple account the iPad will ring when you get phone calls. I’ve never tried answering my iPad so I have no idea if I can actually accept the calls that come in. (It’s an old second or third generation non-cellular iPad)

Thread Information