Page 235 of 238 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2371

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Armadillos.

We have an armadillo tearing up our front yard in Hermann. The destruction he did in one night was astonishing.

If not deer it’s moles. If it’s not moles it’s armadillos, all causing destruction.

That said, I see critters in Hermann that I don’t see in the city: swallowtail butterflies in April, small lizards, ground squirrels, snakes. I see more hummingbirds in Hermann although we have them in the city as well. They are regularly foxes near our house in Hermann. Granted, there are foxes in the city and I’ve actually seen them but I think there’s more of them and Hermann.

edited to correct “aardvark” to “armadillo.” Ugh was without coffee when I wrote that.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-26-20 at 11:55am.

Weather has been better so I’ve been getting out for bike rides more. I ride the 1.4 miles each way to a forest preserve. Same path is used by walkers, runners, bikes, roller blades, etc. Path is divided by a solid yellow line. If you have to pass, you yell “on your left” so people will be aware and hopefully move over a bit. Otherwise you have to cross over to the other lane for those coming from the opposite direction.

The people with little kids on bikes or in strollers are going to make me lose it. Families are either stretched out across the entire path, blocking the path for those coming from the opposite direction or they STOP in the middle of the path and stay there. If you need to stop, you should get off the path. Plenty of grass on either side.

Someone is going to get hurt. Yesterday as I came upon a family stopped on the rpath, I yelled at them in a sickly sweet voice as I went by “Thank you so much for blocking the path. It’s much appreciated.” The look on their face as I went by as priceless. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    edited to correct “aardvark” to “armadillo.” Ugh was without coffee when I wrote that.
    Thank You! I read that earlier and thought "What the hell? Aardvarks?"
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I admit I thought aardvarks were a Midwest thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Thank You! I read that earlier and thought "What the hell? Aardvarks?"
    today I have oldtimer’s brain even WITH the coffee. I had a hard time thinking of the word “lizard” and could only articulate it as “tiny reptiles with feet” for a while this morning.

DH had a good time playing along in our a.m. conversation about aardvarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Weather has been better so I’ve been getting out for bike rides more. I ride the 1.4 miles each way to a forest preserve. Same path is used by walkers, runners, bikes, roller blades, etc. Path is divided by a solid yellow line. If you have to pass, you yell “on your left” so people will be aware and hopefully move over a bit. Otherwise you have to cross over to the other lane for those coming from the opposite direction.

The people with little kids on bikes or in strollers are going to make me lose it. Families are either stretched out across the entire path, blocking the path for those coming from the opposite direction or they STOP in the middle of the path and stay there. If you need to stop, you should get off the path. Plenty of grass on either side.

Someone is going to get hurt. Yesterday as I came upon a family stopped on the rpath, I yelled at them in a sickly sweet voice as I went by “Thank you so much for blocking the path. It’s much appreciated.” The look on their face as I went by as priceless. Idiots.
    i'd be tempted to have an airhorn attached to my bike, but that's just me.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

Someone is going to get hurt.
    You know who it's going to be, too, because you're too responsible to actually hit the people in the way. They're like deer frozen in the headlights. Or they just don't even think about anyone else.

Paths like that are why I'd rather take my chances on the road. Cars can't stop that short.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    You know who it's going to be, too, because you're too responsible to actually hit the people in the way. They're like deer frozen in the headlights. Or they just don't even think about anyone else.

Paths like that are why I'd rather take my chances on the road. Cars can't stop that short.
    I'm not going to sacrifice myself and have my diving interfered with for idiots.

Today some asshat going the same direction as I was had his dog on an extension leash, with the dog wandering over into the other lane. I'm screaming at him to get the dog into his lane as I passed on the far left, and he's not doing a damn thing. He got a "What the f--k is wrong with you?" as I passed him.

Those are all reasons I quit biking. I also quit walking on paths where bikes are allowed and stick to walking in neighborhoods. Reno is very bike unfriendly and many people have been hit by cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Those are all reasons I quit biking. I also quit walking on paths where bikes are allowed and stick to walking in neighborhoods. Reno is very bike unfriendly and many people have been hit by cars.
    I'd walk, but any distance makes my knees very unhappy. I am back to the recumbent bike at the gym as soon as it opens.

Thread Information