Page 94 of 422 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Wasn't sure where to file this one at all, and perhaps I have been watching too many episodes of Portlandia, but I think I can safely say that hipster chic has become a total caricature of itself, as evidenced by my attendance at our local indie DIY Fair....I kind of wanted to tell these 20 to 40 somethings the boat has done gone by, and the excessive tats and facial hair look kinda, umm dated...I wonder what is next on the horizon? It just seems like every I saw was so self-involved with their perceived "coolness." Maybe I am just an aging hippie-punk...
    Oh, I know it. They think they have completely invented everything hipster. And the money wasted on bad tattoos (Never get one in Omaha by the way).
    Last edited by Float On; 8-8-15 at 9:58pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thanks for the Omaha tip! I never even got one back in my punk days (early "80's) when it was considered really radical. I never found a design or motif that I felt I could live with the rest of my life, plus I was too cheap to spend the money. Now I am sure glad I didn't. I did have extra piercings when it was considered pretty radical, but this whole ear plug thing and multiple facial piercing by now has outlived its shock value. Somehow I have gotten old to be thinking like this....it's sure hard to look really different and rebellious anymore ;P

Thanks for the Omaha tip! ;P
    We saw a lot of skin at art shows over 19 years. Omaha always had the worst ink - blury and blotchy - just nasty.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have too much free time on my hands (I can't believe I am saying this). It's getting old and my brain is getting squirrely. I need to get back to some kind of work-imposed schedule. I STILL can't believe I am saying this!

Are we still allowed only one peeve a day? haha.

Today I discovered that when I Google my email address, there is a page of data that lists my full name, address, and birth date. It's on the crummy abandoned web site that has a page for community garden members. I just emailed the man who ran this thing to take down the page, but I wonder how long this will appear in Google? And I know that it will show, forever, in caches. But really, it's too much information in a nice neat package to have readily available out there in Google land.

I'm not normally squeamish about security, but OTOH it's stupid to put it all out there, ESPECIALLY now that that site was abandoned.

You do see the irony of this coming from the queen of "how to edit and delete postings", right?

That does suck, though. Could you or the site owner possibly go in and edit / delete your info before killing the page?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    You do see the irony of this coming from the queen of "how to edit and delete postings", right?

That does suck, though. Could you or the site owner possibly go in and edit / delete your info before killing the page?
    haha.

if he edits out data about me, and THEN deletes the page, would the deleted page only be the one contained in caches?

Now that I think about it, I am royally pizzed that I gave my birth date to this eejit. I believe that the umbrella gardening organization asked for demographic data on all garden members. they also asked for my race, but I don't consider that information that can be used against me. Haha, I can now see how limited THAT thinking is, too!

They can ask my age ,but they do not need my exact birthdate. most web people databases display an approximate age for people, I've just never seen that birthdate display with email. I sure as hell didn't give it to Mark Zuckerbirs for his little eFacebook operation.

Indecision in little everyday stuff. Like, Q: what time do you want to leave? A: I don't know, whatever time you want to leave. Q: where do you want to sit in the movie theater? A: Up to you. Q: should we take this route or that route to the arts fest? A: You decide. and on and on. Oy.

Wasn't sure where to file this one at all, and perhaps I have been watching too many episodes of Portlandia, but I think I can safely say that hipster chic has become a total caricature of itself, .
    ITA, I would take DD and visit my brother in Boston to go the the Bizarre Bazaar every year, the ultimate hipster craft fair. We started when she was maybe 7, by 11, she looked at me and said, "this isn't bizarre anymore". She was right, lol. The interesting outfits and odd hair dos, those huge ear lobe rings, seemed stale even to a kid, lol. Although, I got my WWTWD (Tom Waits) tee there and I cannot find it anywhere, that was my fav shirt.

So my peeve is I think I gave my WWTWD tee away when I gained wt, but I would never have done that, so where is it??? I am so behind on Portlandia, thanks for the reminder.

My roommate/friend's been talking to me about breaking up with her boyfriend for like 5 months now. Ugh. I don't mind discussing such things, but how long does it take to figure out that he'll never be what you want, he's manipulating you, you could easily get someone better, and you should end things already? After a certain number of years people make their priorities pretty clear based on their actions. We talked for like an hour today about not seeing him today (3 days ago she said they were broken up) and then she's, "well, going to see him."

Thanks for letting me vent here.

Thread Information